Thread: sharps scope mounts

Question sharps scope mounts

Some time back I purchased a Sharps rifle, heavy target model, from Cabela's. It came with a tang mounted peep sight that looked like it was made with a cold chisel so I made a new one. Now I want make a set of authentic scope mounts for it. The scope is 3/4" diameter replica but no mounts so I am looking for good pictures and or drawings of the mounts. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated, thaks in advance

Head on over to the ASSRA forum at assra.com You'll have lots of brains to pick and photos to peruse.

David
    David Kaiser
    Montezuma, IA

Try lookinh for old lyman supertargetspot mounts. I believe that the scope tube is 3/4" in diameter. Or try parsons scope repair. They bought out all of lymans old parts for many of their scopes and just may have a set already. last resort gunbroker or some of the outher acution houses. Frank

Unertl also made this type of target scope mounts. You may find a set on the used market.

Sorry-
    Been gone awhile.
    Assuming your Sharps is in the .45 - caliber.
    You didn't mention if you are shooting black or smokless powder.
    I should mention that there is tremendous bullet drop in the heavy .45 cal's.
    So much drop I just don't see how your scope with such a small tube could accomodate the elevation necessary to shoot long-range.
    Look at the vernier site and see what distance it takes to go from 300 yards to 1000 yards. A scope with 3/4" diam. tube could never do that.
    I suppose you could make a 30 or 40 moa mount and zero the rifle at 400 yards. The you may be able to use such a small tube diameter scope.

Just thinkin out loud.

DUKE
    Duke Reno / Yankee Metallic Metalcraft

Don't forget, on these period scopes you move the whole tube. The diameter maters not.

This is the reason these scopes were as long as the barrel. So when the rear was pivoted up about 5", the front wasn't looking at the barrel....