Thread: OT - disassembling a Keurig coffee maker...

Default OT - disassembling a Keurig coffee maker...

OK not strictly metalworking but you guys take everything apart, so here goes:

Got a Keurig B40 coffee maker from someone who no longer used it. When I first tried it, the pump would start but it was not moving water from the reservoir to the heating tank. I took off the bottom and found the water seemed to be stopping at a little check valve looking thing. I undid the lines and blew through the tube pretty hard. The valve held and then popped open. After that, it opened with much less pressure. I turned the machine back over, reinstalled the reservoir and PRESTO! the machine worked again.

So we have been using it for a while, and suddenly it seemed to stop heating the water. So I flipped it over again, removed the bottom and was able to reach the heating element enough for an ohmmeter check. It tests OK, so now I need to further disassemble it to try to see what else may be wrong. Anyone know how you get this thing apart? I removed the obvious screws and a couple of not so obvious ones. But no-go.

This is clearly not designed to be easily serviced, but that has never been known to stop any of this crowd. Any hints or insights before I break something??

Thanks!

I wasn't too impressed - I had two of those break on me - they were under warranty, so I didn't try to fix them myself.

See the B40 Hacker's Guide here:

http://andrewbrobinson.com/2011/12/2...rt-1-hardware/

I'd suspect the thermal fuse.

I have a Keurig and love it so far. From what I read, they have solved quite a few quality problems since they first started shipping them.

I had a similar problem with my last coffeepot: most of the time it would not heat. I could hear the relay clicking on, but the water never got hot. Took the bottom off to investigate and it turned out to be a sticky thermal switch that controls the heating element. A few smacks with a screwdriver and it was good for another week then I had to do it again.

At that time Target had a great deal on the Keurig so I had an excuse to get one. I love that thing! Coffee as good as my french press but much more convenient.

Thanks for the replies guys.

DP, I have no idea how that site escaped my google searches. My search skills must be slipping. Just what I needed.

I got this for free and have little to lose at this point. I am not sure it's a thermal fuse, as I can get it to work again sometimes by power cycling, whereupon it seems to pump a bit more water into the heating tank, and then it works. Maybe a sticking level switch or something.

Thanks for the input!

-Al

Default The coffee maker!

Got a new one of these for Cristmas from my daughter, worked for two weeks then "All stop", page 14 in the instruction manual says to try the unbent paper clip in the small port in the packaged cup area, looks to be a 3/32 port, did so, turned off the switch and re-started, seems to be doing great now, by the way, water scale will haywire these very quickly.

Waukesha WI USA (20 miles W of Milwaukee)

Default Distilled water

Quote Originally Posted by scooterman
    by the way, water scale will haywire these very quickly.
    Finest available (or at least, most expensive) reverse osmosis filtered tap water = dead in 3 months, tops

Cheapest distilled water = going on years of use

Have fun with suggesting distilled water for Keurig. Its actually kind of fun. There is a competing product that uses water conductivity as a level sensor and it won't work with pure distilled water. So you'll get people who know absolutely nothing about what they are or how they work or what is going on, extremely authoritatively vein popping loudly demanding that distilled water not be used in a Keurig. Cheap laughs for those "in the know".

Also for obvious repeat business reasons you'll get some dealers telling you to put the hardest water you can find thru the Keurig, the sooner you have to buy another, the better for their profits...

Yes I'm already well aware of the economics of the situation, that being that its ten times the cost of brewing my own, yet it tastes better and is faster and more convenient and I always buy variety packs which would be difficult if brewing my own. It is also about a tenth the cost of Starbucks and is faster and more convenient, so its got a nice happy profitable little market niche...

Waukesha WI USA (20 miles W of Milwaukee)

Default drop it from about 2 inches

Quote Originally Posted by lwalker
    Took the bottom off to investigate and it turned out to be a sticky thermal switch that controls the heating element. A few smacks with a screwdriver and it was good for another week then I had to do it again.
    The "lift a couple inches off the countertop and drop" technique also temporarily solves the "valve is jammed because I wasn't using distilled water" problem. Although once that starts happening, you have at most a week until either the case cracks from doing this or the valve permanently jams.

Quote Originally Posted by vincemulhollon
    The "lift a couple inches off the countertop and drop" technique also temporarily solves the "valve is jammed because I wasn't using distilled water" problem. Although once that starts happening, you have at most a week until either the case cracks from doing this or the valve permanently jams.
    I turn the machine upside down and give it three wacks with a open hand. It worked for me.