Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writing gcode....the easy way

Question Writing gcode....the easy way

Hello,

Is there any program that simplifies the writing of gcode? I have some projects for which I'd rather not hand code the gcode. (I've done that.) However, the cheap CAD programs don't seem to be too useful and I am not going to pay for, nor require, a large cad-cam solution.

Basically, whatever it is needs to have the capability to handle the coordinates as variables, do loops, and execute subroutines. I am using Mach3 and discovered that it doesn't handle gcode loops. (I do understand that I can use VB scripts; but, would rather keep all of the code in the same file.)

i.e.

x = 5
    y = 1
    go

repeat 5
    x = x + 0.5
    cut
    y = y - 1
    cut
    x = x + 0.5
    cut
    y = y + 1
    cut
    repeat end

I guess what I am really asking is: Is there a more modern way to write this stuff?

Thanks!

Brian
    Last edited by Rif; 01-25-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Some cnc machines have different implementations of motion control like Heidenhain. And others have loops and parametric. Mach does not and it is not a big deal.

Its not that hard to program by hand, just learn the codes. Gcod works very well and will not be replaced anytime soon.

And something like "cut" will never cut it, whats the depth, feed, rpm?

Best thing is to just buy a cheap cam package and go with that. I almost never program by hand. Just not worth it and infinitely greater chance of a screw up.

If you deal with the guys at bobcad you can get their package for around $300. It not terrible but not the greatest. There is also Cut2D which can do almost all basic mill ops.

Quote Originally Posted by Rif
    Is there any program that simplifies the writing of gcode?... the cheap CAD programs don't seem to be too useful
    An intermediate step is to draw your tool centreline path in CAD and save as a dxf. Google will show you lots of dxf to G code convertors (e.g. Ace convertor by DAK Engineering, makers of TurboCNC).

TurboCNC handles parametric stuff and loops but is clearly not as fancy as Mach.

Hello,

I know I missed a lot with an example. (Spindle speed, spindle direction, coolant, tool offsets, etc.) But, I was just wondering if there is anything more modern and through that out there to see if anybody would look at it and say "hey I've seen something that works similar to that."

I don't have a problem writing code (i.e. gcode) as I was a software engineer at my former job. It's just that the job, that I need to get done, needs a lot of repetitious features and I'd rather not have to hand-code all of them. On the other hand, while I would purchase the software if it was required, I'd rather not purchase a complete CAD-CAM solution. I was just wondering if there is an "intermediate coding solution", of some sort.

I'll have to checkout the Cut2d and see if that would meet my requirements.

Thanks,

Brian
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Its not uncommon for software engineers to see g-code and say "gee, this could be better"

Read this thread over on PM:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...ed-cnc-178059/

Hello,

Reading through some of that thread I can understand the sentiment. Between the concept of "if it's not broken, it doesn't need fixed" (which I agree with in many cases) and the lousy reputation computer programmers have earned, via all of the bad code out there, it is understandable.

I was just thinking along the lines of a program that creates gcode from an easier to use language as opposed to writing raw gcode. (The resulting gcode could always be edited of course.) If you can generate gcode from a CAD drawing wouldn't it be useful to generate gcode from an easier to use language as well? I was not thinking about having the machine automatically measure tool offsets, having colorful user interfaces, etc.

One analogy, that I would think is pretty accurate is to state that web pages can be written in assembly language. However, nobody would use such a language as, among other reasons, it is very difficult to understand.

On the subject of programming languages, if possible, a language is considered a tool and selected as it is the best tool for the job. (Company politics may disagree.) In this case, gcode has been the best tool for the job and I am not suggesting that it be changed.

Regards,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by macona
    Its not uncommon for software engineers to see g-code and say "gee, this could be better"

Read this thread over on PM:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...ed-cnc-178059/

I rarely even look at the Gcode so it really does not matter. I don't personally know anyone who write more than a few lines in gcode for something simple like drilling holes.

Using cam means I don't need to think about arcs or stuff like tool diameter compensation. And it a whole lot more than just converting a drawing to gcode, there is a lot to think about like where you might want to remove material first and things like to use a pocket tool path or contour.

I used one of the wizards in Mach tonight and it does look like there is a loop command and there are subroutines. "L" and the number of time to do it. I just found a little here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mach_s...tion_help.html

Its just something I never do...

Up until we hired a guy with MasterCam experience, one outfit I worked for used exclusively G-Zero, by Rapid Output. Thousands of part numbers. I don't remember the cost, but I don't believe it was terribly expensive.

http://www.g-zero.com/

I'm no programmer, but I sat in with them a bit and wrote a few programs for lathe and mill. I didn't find it too intimidating. But I'm sure it has changed. That was about 1988-89.
    Scientists have shown that the moon is moving away at a tiny yet measurable distance from the earth every year. If you do the math, you can calculate that 85 million years ago the moon was orbiting the earth at a distance of about 35 feet from the earth's surface. This would explain the death of the dinosaurs. The tallest ones, anyway.

I don't personally know anyone who write more than a few lines in gcode for something simple like drilling holes.
    FWIW,I have only worked in one shop with CAM in 15 years. Currently, I'm running a Hurco but will still use Gcode for certain things. For everyday parts (3 axis or 3+, not full on 4 or 5 axis) writing G-code can be tedious but isn't difficult with experience with whatever control you are using.

For the OP, can you use Macros,? That is programming with variables. You can set-up macros to do rountine things like bolt-circles, mill circles, etc. It can be a very powerful tool. I have done things like engraving a sine wave or milling a profile with the corner of the endmill in the XZ plane. If so I highly recommend Peter Smids Macro book. It is written for Fanuc but the principles apply. I can't imagine a Gcode control that won't do loops and subroutines.

As far as taking some of the tedium out of long-hand G-coding, here are some things I do:

-write programs on Notepad on a computer and transfer to the machine. Programming at the control sucks.

-Use template programs. They are set-up with all the routine things. I copy the template and just have to change the geometry, tool number, etc. That way I don't have to type out all the stuff that doesn't change.

-Use copy & paste as much as possible. For example, I will write a block to spot all the drilled holes. Then I copy it for the drilling & tapping. It's just a matter of changing which G8_, speeds & feeds and z depths.

-Use subroutines. For profiling a part, the actual profile goes into the subroutine. Then all the roughing passes, the finish pass and chamfering call up the same sub. You just have to have the initial starting pointmove,d Zdepth moves, and subprogram call in the actual program. Copy & paste this as well and all you have do is change the Z. Same concept for mill circles.

-If you have helical interpolation, you can can use incremental mode and either a loop or subprogram to repeat all the passes with just a couple of lines. Just don't forget to change back to absolute.

Personally, the programming and set-up is the challenging & fun part. The rest of it is boring as hell.
    Last edited by moldmonkey; 01-26-2012 at 12:20 AM.
    Jon Bohlander
    My PM Blog

I personally don't see the attraction nowadays in running sub routines.
    OK years ago when you were limited to 999 lines of code or similar but with CAM and memory storage I can't see the point.

Very hard to understand where it is in a program and if you have to pause for any reason, broken tool ?, it's impossible to pick up from that point.

Also don't overlook Excel for writing the odd repetitious program, easy to get excel to work out formulae in columns away from the input parameters and a quick copy / paste into notepad gives you a working G Code.

Mach can understand formulae to generate a sub routine

#1=[30] ;BAR
    #2=[15] ;PCD
    #3=[10] ;PIN
    #4=[18] ;Passes
    #5=[0] ;A
    #6=[1] ;Pass

G0 G21 G49 G40.1 G17 G64 G80 G50 G90 G98
    M6 T1
    M03 S4000
    G00 G43 Z10.0
    G00 A0.0 Y0.0 X5
    M98 P003 Q#4
    A0.00
    M5 M9
    M30

O003
    #5=[0.0]
    G00 Z2.0
    G00 A0.0
    #1002=[[#2/2]*SIN[#5]]
    #1003=[[[#1/2]-[#2/2*COS[#5]+#3/2]]*[#6/#4]*-1]
    G01 Y#1002 Z#1003 F100
    M98 P004 Q358

This is a program [ don't run it - it's missing 7 lines due to copyright ] that machines a crankshaft by keeping the tool on centreline as a rotary axis [ A ] rotates and it co-ordinates Y and Z so it finishes up with an off set pin.

The first 6 lines set the parameters, just change them for a different crank.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.