Thread: ridgid ram bridgeport retrofit

Default ridgid ram bridgeport retrofit

I am looking at retro fitting a bridgeport TNC 131 over to a true cnc capable of doing arcs instead of just linear movements. It is a ridged ram machine with SEM servos. I have never attempted a retrofit (and am probably over my head) and not sure what all is needed to do this right, so I need your help, and any suggestions are appreciated. Here are a few questions I have;
    1.Can the controller software control spindle speed when it is equipped with variable speed head.
    2.A:Can an MPG (Manual Pulse Generator) be added to move X/Y/Z?
    B:Can it be changed to change increments ex: .001, .01, .1 per rotation
    C:Would this be done on the controller software, or need to be a physical object added on?
    3.If I add flood coolant pump, how do you wire it up so it is controlled by g-code instead of a switch?
    4.What “boards” are needed in the retrofit? A break out board, a board for USB? Dudong Drivers (3)? What else?
    5.Does anyone know what encoders will work on the bridgeport SEM servos, and where are those wired into?
    6.Everything I read, they say they remove all the wiring, so do you also remove the limit switch wiring?
    7.Anyone have a wiring diagram when they only powered the spindle on three phase (so I can use a static phase converter), and the rest on 120v?

Hey billsnogo

I am right in the middle of doing the same retrofit on a boss8, have some answers for ya

1.Can the controller software control spindle speed when it is equipped with variable speed head.

Yes with the addition of a VFD

2.A:Can an MPG (Manual Pulse Generator) be added to move X/Y/Z?
    B:Can it be changed to change increments ex: .001, .01, .1 per rotation
    C:Would this be done on the controller software, or need to be a physical object added on?

A: Depends on if your new control supports it
    B:If the pendant has the feature
    C:Pendants usually have a multiply feature for jog. Software supports is also for jog.

3.If I add flood coolant pump, how do you wire it up so it is controlled by g-code instead of a switch?

The use of an output from the control to activate a relay

4.What “boards” are needed in the retrofit? A break out board, a board for USB? Dudong Drivers (3)? What else?

I am using usbcnc from edingcnc, bought new granite device drives, powersupply...etc I am not using any breakout boards because i don't have to. (depends on what control your using)

5.Does anyone know what encoders will work on the bridgeport SEM servos, and where are those wired into?

I am using the stock BEI encoders. I have CMC and Powertron servos, not sure what the SEM has for encoders.

6.Everything I read, they say they remove all the wiring, so do you also remove the limit switch wiring?

I am not physically touching any of my limit switches, just re wiring them to my new control.

7.Anyone have a wiring diagram when they only powered the spindle on three phase (so I can use a static phase converter), and the rest on 120v?

Last edited by legendboy; 02-03-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Legenboy pretty much has it. VFD for the spindle, but I think there are guys that have controlled the pneumatic motor that operates the reeves drive system.

You will need to replace the motor drives. I would look at the whale 3. That will probable be in the current and voltage range for your motors.

I wouldn't gut everything. There is stuff like the main transformer which you should be able to reuse, assuming that it is not three phase.

Don't know where the encoders will be. Probably on the motors themselves. But since they are Heidenhain they will probably be sine quad out so they will either need interpolators modules or be replaced. Old encoders use light bulbs as a light source instead of LEDS so I would probably replace them.

I would run everything on a single 240 input. Virtually all computer equipment will run on 240. Thats what I did on my little CNC lathe. On my mill I installed a 750va 240-120 transformer to run everything else.