Thread: 1954ish hobart

Default 1954ish hobart

A friend has this old Hobart welder I think it is somewhere between a 1945 and 1952 year model, it has a flat 6 in it and is a cool looking old beast. he had a it running a few years ago and it worked fine.
    How much is this thing worth
    Here is a link to a few pictures of it
    http://grizzzly.smugmug.com/Other/Ho...1505711_9Kt5Ts

Default Hobart welder

Used one like it about 30 years ago, was a good machine. Downside is that Chrysler industrial engine, they were good but finding parts for them is nearly impossible. Also they guzzled gas. BTW, some of them had aluminum windings in the welder, which was not good. I wouldn't offer more than $200.00 for it.

Europe-Asia border aka somewhere on the Saros

Hmmm. I think that is similar to the one Dad had on the farm. Originally, it has a Willy's Jeep engine in it. It was later refitted (by Dad after the jeep engine blew up) with a Chrysler? 252 out of a Massey 90 combine. The Masey combines were very popular at one time and there's lots of them sitting in the weeds around the countryside.

As I recall, the welder itself used to need a lot of TLC in its later days in the control circuitry.
    Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

The Lincoln SA-200 usually comes with a 4-cylinder Continental Red Seal engine so a Chrysler six cylinder is probably a 230 ci (same basic engine as a Dodge flat fender Power Wagon) and parts are readily available if you know where to look; I'd be more worried about the actual genset parts. In addition, it should make around 300 to 400 amp capacity and would be good for portable stick welding. I'd lay out $500 for it if it runs and welds - less if not.

Provided the engine & welder are in good working condition, you have found
    a real welder, made when welders were welders.

I have a 1953 400 amp Hobart and it is one of the best DC machines I have ever used (when it wants to run, but that is a whole other story) the arc is kinda similar to what you get from a machine like a Lincoln SAE. My Hobart and this machine have the same engine. The flat 6 is a good engine but the exciter can be a pain in the ass. This is a vintage machine you have to keep an eye on it and oil stuff every few hours, and if you do that it doesn’t have a problem burning rod all day long.
    I think the machine in my OP would look really nice if someone was to restore it and it could handle just about anything the average guy could throw at it.

I have a homebuilt version of that welder built in '45...welds the best of any DC welders I have ever used...puts my 250 syncro to shame for dc stick welding...and keeping the ole' chrysler running is sometimes a chalange( mine has carb issues)I like the remote fine tune option as well( removable center ,fine tune rheostat with a extention cord plug ends)I'd say it is definately worth 100 bucks over scrap price...