Thread: Drill/mill, the tool NOT the machine plus noob mill question

Hybrid View

Question Drill/mill, the tool NOT the machine plus noob mill question

Drill/mill tool, is the idea sort of to reduce number of processes?
    Can you mill with the drill portion?

I am still working towards setting up an Atlas horizontal mill so am used to thinking "horizontal arbor" but there would also be application for holding other types of mills both in the spindle of that mill (MT#2) and the lathe spindle. I've come across what could be a good deal on a Morse drill-mill and its of a size, 3/4", that with the 90* drill angle, it should work for me to make various stops for the lathe (I would not need to go full depth to match the prismatic ways).

Part 2 springs from that and another deal, same guy selling. Do end mills cut on the "sides", ends, or both?
    I assume "center cut" means they cut across the full width of the end of the cutter.
    Reason: center cut mill has chips in a couple of spots on the flute edges going towards the top but the end edges are near perfect [if I only use the end to cut the intent would be to regrind past those chips when it would become necessary...its a high $$$ mill]

A quick google search will reveal the difference between center and non-center cutting end mills......

http://www.google.com/search?q=cente...BIOmgwf5ntScCA

The very first picture is a good example.
    A center cutting mill will allow you to plunge in. The other will only allow you to go so far before it bottoms out.

End mills cut on both the end and the sides.

Drill/mills I only use as chamfering tools, I am sure others use them differently...
    Last edited by Uncle O; 02-18-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Deleted. I had misread the title, or the title has been updated. Either way, my comment no longer applies.

Dan
    Last edited by danlb; 02-20-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

If you are talking about drills with 'teeth' on the side, Im pertty sure those are more for cutting drywall then milling steel!
    <edit>
    Last edited by Black_Moons; 02-20-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Default Mill Drill

A mill drill (the cutting tool, not the machine) will drill, spot drill, side mill, chamfer, v groove and countersink. It is an endmill with a 90 degree drill point. They are a very handy item. They come in sizes from 1/8 to 3/4, 2 and 4 flute.
    An end mill will cut on the end and sides. A center cutting end mill will cut to the center, a non center cutting end mill often has a countersink in the middle. The cutting teeth only go partway to the center.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolguy
    A mill drill (the cutting tool, not the machine) will drill, spot drill, side mill, chamfer, v groove and countersink. It is an endmill with a 90 degree drill point.
    +1 -- I love the mill/drill bits. I get them in carbide, and they make super rigid spotting/center drills. Yes, you can mill on the sides.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Quote Originally Posted by Toolguy
    A mill drill (the cutting tool, not the machine) will drill, spot drill, side mill, chamfer, v groove and countersink. It is an endmill with a 90 degree drill point. They are a very handy item. They come in sizes from 1/8 to 3/4, 2 and 4 flute.
    An end mill will cut on the end and sides. A center cutting end mill will cut to the center, a non center cutting end mill often has a countersink in the middle. The cutting teeth only go partway to the center.
    Can you find a picture of these bits to post?

Sure, out of catalog, middle two sections

http://www.kbctools.com/can/Navigati...fm?PDFPage=203

those are solid carbide...Toolguy posted a very good description.

Knew they existed but was not quite sure if they were multi purpose or not.
    Until I get a vertical mill, and being a noob, I am sort of creating work-arounds for projects. As example, to obtain a "V" groove to match the prismatic ways on the lathe (so as to build a few stops etc.) I need a cutter that will produce a V groove about .625 at the widest. Most suppliers have horizontal arbour cutters that will do this but there is a price jump over the 1/2" width. This drill mill would solve that, plus its at hand and a good deal (though HSS, it is from a good maker).

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Moons
    Can you find a picture of these bits to post?

Home
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience....well that comes from poor judgment.

Shiny.. Now I want one. -_-