Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT-Making a Sapling Puller

Default OT-Making a Sapling Puller

Our property/woods was timbered quite a few years ago. Now, there is a lot of small growth everywhere. I would like to clear out all this mess. I have a 753 Bobcat and can literally dig up each sapling,but that is a pain. I've done it many times but the work is overkill for what you're doing. So I had this idea.....

What if I made a clamp powered by a small hydraulic cylinder that was bolted to the bucket, that I could just clamp onto a sapling and pull it out of the ground? Something that would handle about 2" saplings and under. Over 2" I doubt I could just pull them out, but then it getting to where I can push them over and get under the stump.

So what do you think about a gripper/clamp type thing? The hydraulics are there on the machine.

I rather get them out of the ground instead of brush hogging them down where the stob is left behind.

I would rent a decent size dozer with teeth on the bottom of the blade that rips up anything to about 6" below the surface & have it done in no time. Or build an attachment like it for your bobcat. The problem is you may never use it again.

' below the surface & have it done in no time
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich theory of life." Theodore Roosevelt

Google "T post puller" and study those. Might give you an idea for a somewhat simpler to implement gripping mechanism.

I don't have a T post puller, so I've used chain and a long pry bar for my rare needs to pull one. Though using something like a chain would entail getting down off the Bobcat to engage each sapling. But some other means might be devised.
    Last edited by lynnl; 02-21-2012 at 10:45 AM.

How about a big cable grip?

Pull straight up. The easiest way to uproot the small stuff.

RWS,

Around here, we have to deal with mesquite trees. If we can get to them while they are small, we have been having good luck with the grubber in the picture. I use this on a NH LS170. For mesquite you need to get the cutter plate about 6-8" below grade in order to pull the tree out root and all. Our local New Holland dealer makes these in their shop and sells them for about $1300.00. There is not much too it, I think a fella could build one without too much trouble. Most of the metal is 1.5" mild steel, the mounting plate was purchased from a vendor. I have seen these plates for $150.00 or so on the internet.

Regards,

Tim

A choker made from chain or wire rope would probably work so long as it tightens before slipping.

How many acres are we talking?
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnl
    Google "T post puller" and study those. Might give you an idea for a somewhat simpler to implement gripping mechanism.
    I have and use a t post puller occasionally, but if I need to pull very many, I just use a choker chain on the end of my pallet forks on the skid loader. It takes two people for it to be very efficient.

If you look at a t post puller and note the way it engages the t post, you may be able to devise a small part that attaches to the front lip of your bucket so that as you tilt the bucket back it engages the sapling in the same way as the t post puller does. Once engaged, it would then be a simple matter of raising the bucket to pull the sapling.

If the saplings are easy to pull, this might work well, otherwise a grubber like I previously posted might be in order.

Tim
    Last edited by tmc_31; 02-21-2012 at 12:16 PM.

About an acre or so. I would start working and keep going as time allowed. I agree that pulling straight up would be best, but then again I would have the ability to wiggle it back and forth if it were stubborn.

The idea of a choker, or post puller is the right thing, but getting down and back on for each sapling would wear me out!

I have cleared a fair amount of this stuff just grubbing them out, but chasing those small damn things and all the digging needed to get that one small sapling is a pain.