Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas cylinder recall

Damn-it I bet thats what blew my hanger up & I thought it the tornado.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich theory of life." Theodore Roosevelt

I haven't been able to buy a tank of Mapp gas for over a month now.... Frustrating as propane doesn't seem to have the heat that Mapp does.

The wife showed me a picture and asked if I had that product. I said no, since I don't have any Worthington branded gas canisters.

Then I looked at this link and realized that almost all the brands use their cylinders.

Darn. Now I have to go to Lowes to return it, and that means I WILL buy more toys.

Oh Well!

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

This is why I only use acetylene, Its safer!

Or at least, the tanks sure get tested a lot better..

Hunh ... I have a leaky MAPP cylinder. Everytime I disconnect the torch head, I had to use a pin punch to open and close the valve a few times to get it to seat and stop leaking. A little bit worrisome...

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by danlb

Then I looked at this link and realized that almost all the brands use their cylinders.
    With a recall of potentially over 30 million cylinders, it looks like Worthington is probably history......

Whose cylinders will everyone use NOW?

In 1970,I was using a propane torch,a manual one that had to be lit every time. I turned it off,went to lunch,and came back to find the building SHIMMERING with waves of gas!! I know I did screw down the valve sufficiently. For years afterward,I'd take the head OFF the tank. Looks like this current situation,that would be exactly NOT the thing to do.

I smoked at that time,but smelled gas when I came in the lower floor back door. Lucky I wasn't smoking or lighting up when I came in. The rooms upstairs were just floating in gas.

I used two full cylinders in the past two weeks. I had to a get another but none around - had to buy some stupid little thing from Home Depot. Propane just doesn't cut it for me on 3/4 or 1 inch copper fittings and my Acetylene is too tall to drag in a crawl space.

But I'm glas I have the "empties" :

Partially-used cylinder NOT connected to a torch or other device now: Take cylinder outdoors. Leak test top of the cylinder with soapy water. If bubbles develop, attach the torch. Ignite the torch and burn off entire contents* of the cylinder. Remove the torch from empty cylinder and dispose of empty cylinder per cylinder label instructions or return it to the store where it was purchased for exchange for a full refund. If no bubbles develop, do not use cylinder. Return it to the store where it was purchased for exchange for a full refund.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 03-04-2012 at 04:39 PM.

I have had many tanks leak when the head was pulled off so I just leave them on all the time now. My torch that I have been using for the last 10 years has been acting a little funny but never leaks out.
    Andy