Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas cylinder recall

Damn-it I bet thats what blew my hanger up & I thought it the tornado.
    "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

I haven't been able to buy a tank of Mapp gas for over a month now.... Frustrating as propane doesn't seem to have the heat that Mapp does.

The wife showed me a picture and asked if I had that product. I said no, since I don't have any Worthington branded gas canisters.

Then I looked at this link and realized that almost all the brands use their cylinders.

Darn. Now I have to go to Lowes to return it, and that means I WILL buy more toys.

Oh Well!

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

This is why I only use acetylene, Its safer!

Or at least, the tanks sure get tested a lot better..

Hunh ... I have a leaky MAPP cylinder. Everytime I disconnect the torch head, I had to use a pin punch to open and close the valve a few times to get it to seat and stop leaking. A little bit worrisome...

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by danlb

Then I looked at this link and realized that almost all the brands use their cylinders.
    With a recall of potentially over 30 million cylinders, it looks like Worthington is probably history......

Whose cylinders will everyone use NOW?

In 1970,I was using a propane torch,a manual one that had to be lit every time. I turned it off,went to lunch,and came back to find the building SHIMMERING with waves of gas!! I know I did screw down the valve sufficiently. For years afterward,I'd take the head OFF the tank. Looks like this current situation,that would be exactly NOT the thing to do.

I smoked at that time,but smelled gas when I came in the lower floor back door. Lucky I wasn't smoking or lighting up when I came in. The rooms upstairs were just floating in gas.

I used two full cylinders in the past two weeks. I had to a get another but none around - had to buy some stupid little thing from Home Depot. Propane just doesn't cut it for me on 3/4 or 1 inch copper fittings and my Acetylene is too tall to drag in a crawl space.

But I'm glas I have the "empties" :

Partially-used cylinder NOT connected to a torch or other device now: Take cylinder outdoors. Leak test top of the cylinder with soapy water. If bubbles develop, attach the torch. Ignite the torch and burn off entire contents* of the cylinder. Remove the torch from empty cylinder and dispose of empty cylinder per cylinder label instructions or return it to the store where it was purchased for exchange for a full refund. If no bubbles develop, do not use cylinder. Return it to the store where it was purchased for exchange for a full refund.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 03-04-2012 at 05:39 PM.

I have had many tanks leak when the head was pulled off so I just leave them on all the time now. My torch that I have been using for the last 10 years has been acting a little funny but never leaks out.
    Andy