Thread: KBIC DC controller/chopsaw motor question

Hybrid View

Default KBIC DC controller/chopsaw motor question

Is it possible to use a KBIC DC speed controller to slow down your typical wood munching miter saw motor? I'm guessing that since they have brushes, they're similar to a shunt-wound DC motor and as such might be speed controlled if wired correctly with a KBIC?

Not looking to slow it down to a crawl but maybe 1/2 speed for cutting aluminum with a carbide blade. Got the miter saw, got the KBIC and am curious. Yes I'll admit to being electrically naive...stupid idea?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

It should be possible, but I have never tried it, the saw has a Universal motor so it it will run on the DC output of the KIBC as long as the current rating of the motor is suitable.
    Being a series motor it is bad on RPM control under load without some kind of feedback, and basically operates in a runaway condition due to field weakening.
    I have used the SuperPID which is the way to go if you need precise speed of a tool with a universal motor.
    http://www.vhipe.com/product-private/SuperPID.htm
    BTW, there was one make of treadmill that used a Universal motor and a DC controller, but used a simple form of tach for feedback.
    Max.
    Last edited by MaxHeadRoom; 03-13-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks Max, when you say runaway does that mean the speed cycling up & down uncontrollably?

The exact speed isn't important, I'm just trying to slow it down to get a better finish and make the process less frantic.
    Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

A series motor is only slowed down by friction windage etc, the field current gets progressively weaker with rpm, this is why/how universal motors achieve the 20,000 some odd rpm they are capable of.
    If you slow it down to something like 5krpm It should be OK on light cuts otherwise the rpm will vary quite a bit at that rpm without some form of feedback to correct it.
    Max.

Sounds like it may be worth a try, thanks. If the deal I'm working on comes through, I may be chopping off a lot of 1 1/4" sq. aluminum bar.

I'm thinking that if I go down to a smaller dia. blade & reduce the motor speed, I should be able to get the +/-.010" length spec. that's called for and a reasonable finish without having to mill the ends. I can almost do that now but blade flex and resonant vibes (?) makes the cut inconsistent. It'd be nice to have a cold saw but that's out of my budget for this year.
    Milton

The KB motor controller features built in speed control (back EMF sensing) that improves speed regulation for series wound motors. You will have to tweak the settings on the KBC drive but in the end your saw should run better under the drive at say half-speed than uncontrolled at full speed - if the drive is selected to suit the motor ratings, set up correctly, and the current, back EMF, and other trim pots are adjusted to optimize perfromance.

Which KB drive do you have? There's about a dozen.

http://www.kbelectronics.com/Variabl...es_Chassis.htm