Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Help - Need Motor or fields for 8635 Clausing Power Feed

There are only four ends to the motor 2 for fields and two for the armature, all in series, so if you are bypassing the switch and swapping the fields over, the two fields are not accessible with only two wires, so they are series-ed up in the motor .
    Because it is AC there can be no directional conscious component.
    The armature does not have offset brushes by any chance? although if it ran full rpm before that would not make sense?
    Max.

Default motor/switch wiring....bypass switch & powerstat

Quote Originally Posted by MaxHeadRoom
    There are only four ends to the motor 2 for fields and two for the armature, all in series, so if you are bypassing the switch and swapping the fields over, the two fields are not accessible with only two wires, so they are series-ed up in the motor .
    Because it is AC there can be no directional conscious component.
    The armature does not have offset brushes by any chance? although if it ran full rpm before that would not make sense?
    Max.
    Max,

RED = armature
    Black = armature
    yellow = field
    brown= field

We will call the AC wires simply Black2 and White for now.

If you study the wiring diagram you will see that in order to turn the motor , we'll say clock wise due to I don't rmember which direction it turned now.....

to turn the motor CW the red wire will connect to the yellow wire, the black to black2, and the brown to white.

To turn it CCW, Red connects to Brown, Black to Black2, and Yellow to WHite.

Am I right?

Jim

Default okydoky

Quote Originally Posted by J. R. Williams
    One thing that is wrong is the original wiring diagram has the line fuse in the white power lead wire. If the switch is correct with the two outer terminals crossed then the field connection will be reversed as required. The next place to check is the brush holders and brush 'pig tail' wires. Changing rotation direction forces the brush to opposite side in the holder. I have seen broken wires to the brushes or a bad solder joint with the top end of the pig tail wire to a small brass washer.
    Hi again J.R.,

We put new brushes in also, I did not check the wires to the brushes where they make contact over than visual. I'll do that this weekend.
    Got to get some sleep! I'm on EST here in Western PA.
    Hearing thunder also so better unplug things.

Thanks again fellas, I'll be in touch.
    Have a great weekend all!

Jim

Tracing the wiring as shown, the Powerstat is a Variac which just varies the AC in both directions, the switch is just a simple centre off that is wired to swap the two Yell & Brown field winding leads over at L & R posn of the switch.
    It seems very straight forward.
    The motor leads and fields are placed in series, In each direction of the switch.
    Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim the PA Hunter
    Hearing thunder also so better unplug things.Jim
    Welcome to the sandbox, Jim.
    Where are you located in W/Pa. I live in Meadville, Pa.
    Dan.

Default more on motor

Hello,

LU47... I'm in Somerset, PA.

UPDATE for all,

I took the motor apart again and removed the brushes and their holders, cleaned them thoroughly, also cleaned the tab the red and black wires are soldered to. Now the tabs make good contact with brass brush holders. Installed everything and still have the slow in one direction, fast in the other.

If I am measuring it right, I see about 21-22 ohms accross each wire.
    Also, the brushes are not "offset" if offset means they are not 180 degrees apart from each other(one on one side, the other directly accross on the other side).

I am going to try to find another motor. Should be hard to find since the motor is built into a housing with gears. My first call will be to Clausing.
    Maybe I can find someone that can put new field in it?

Thanks again!
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim the PA Hunter; 03-27-2012 at 01:08 PM.

You could probably use almost any Universal motor to test, one off an old appliance etc, the down side is most are connected permanently for one direction, you would have to open it an bring the field and armature both out separately.
    Also voltage test through the system in each direction should reveal something with a reading taken at the various junction points?
    Max.

Default clausing 8635 power feed motor

Guess what !!!!

I'll give you 3 guesses...... No , NO, yep! You're right! Clausing does NOT have the motor available anymore. I'll bet you did not see that comming .

Anyway,..... MAX - I'll try to check the voltages out. If I remember correctly, I did that early in the project and again, If I remember right, there was a AC voltage of 2 through 110 in one direction (fast) and a higher max voltage in the other(slow) meaning to me that it is not drawing as much current in the slow direction. Measurement was from the powerstat to the motor. Since I do not remember exact voltage values I will test it again.

Have a great day!
    Jim

Not being a smart ass but is the armature binding in the opposite direction, if it runs good one way and not the other you could have a mechanical bind and your just not seeing it, does the armature shift a little bit end wise, if it does when you try to run it in the slow direction try pushing back and see if it speeds up. JM$.02 W

The difficulty in solving this problem seems to lie in our assumptions that there is only one 'series' path for current thru the motor, thereby making the symptoms seem impossible. So far as I can tell, all symptoms can be accounted for only by a field coil or armature grounded to the motor case, thereby providing a different current path in the two directions. Since you have had the armature rewound, that should eliminate that possibility. This assumes that the motor case ground is effectively connected to the power neutral thru the 120V house/shop wiring. It would also mean there is a severe shock/electrocution hazard present if that path were interrupted. This most likely could be verified by an ohmmeter test although some such problems require higher voltages to detect. Do verify that all motor connections show no continuity ('infinity' or 'overload') to the frame/case. Be careful!

Edit: Duckmans comments are well taken. Also verify that the armature is not rubbing or dragging on the field poles, as this could be different in each direction.
    Last edited by Don Young; 03-27-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Don Young