Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press differences?

Default Drill Press differences?

I'm looking to get a floor model drill press and wondering what accounts for the price difference between for example these two:

HF $239

ENCO $469

The specs seem similar. Do you really get that much more for the additional $230? Should I assume that the bearings and overall precision and quality is better at the higher price?

Any recommendations for a machine of about that capacity for about $400 or less? Don't need lasers.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary,

Have you tried looking for an older American drill press, even one that needed work? I haven't had good luck with anything from harbor freight that has two or more moving parts or needs any form of electrical power. I'm not a tool snob but have had some bad luck with harbor freight products. I have got good service from their chip brushes and shop rags.They are good about returns so you could take a chance and try their drill press. I have no experience with Enco equipment.

Good luck with your purchase, I hope I didn't seem too negative.

Kevin B.

I echo Kevin's comment. Look for a used US made machine. I would also put a good chuck on it.

I got by with a Sears drill press for many years, mainly by using my mill or lathe to do my most of my drilling. I bought an old Clausing 2274 a couple of years ago. It is really a different machine. I use it all the time. It is an order of magnitude more ridged; the table lift is effortless, minimal run out, lot of quill travel …etc. Having variable speed is important to me. Since I am not trained machinist I seldom know the correct speed and feed, but with a variable speed machine you can mess with the speed on the fly until it is cutting right.

I found the Clausing on eBay and got it for $399, but I had to drive 150 miles to pick it up. So an OK deal. Good luck.

Mark

I have an Enco 105 Mill/Drill that has been a good machine.

You might look at the weight of each machine.

My impression from visiting a HF store years ago is that they sell light duty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gfphoto
    Do you really get that much more for the additional $230? Should I assume that the bearings and overall precision and quality is better at the higher price?
    Absolutely not!
    They are all essentially the same machine with different name badges on them. Here are a couple more:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5430_200365430

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-S...ll-Press/G7944

One thing to consider is the cost of freight if you can't go and pick one up yourself locally. These things can easily add another 100 dollars to the price if you have to pay a trucking company for shipping.
    Last edited by Highpower; 04-01-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Thanks for the replies.

My preference would be an American made drill and there's no rush so I'll keep my eyes open.

Follow-up question:

Some have square tables, but round seems to be more common. Any pros/cons about that?

Thanks,

Gary

If you can get to Houston. this one might fit the bill
    http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/2936870348.html

Randy

Thanks! Looks good but a bit too far from PA...

Default Drill Presses

Quote Originally Posted by gfphoto
    Thanks for the replies.

My preference would be an American made drill and there's no rush so I'll keep my eyes open.

Follow-up question:

Some have square tables, but round seems to be more common. Any pros/cons about that?

Thanks,

Gary
    My preference is a square table. For me fastening on a round table has it's problems

I have visited the local HF store and the Grizzly showroom in Springfield and seen the machines on display. I have also purchased several Grizzly machines, both for myself and for my employers.

My main observation is that, yes the basic machines are very similar, BUT the difference in quality is obvious. I suspect that HF places an order for machines from a Chinese factory and accepts whatever they ship to them. Grizzly has much better QC on the orders: I don't know how they accomplish it, but they do.

So you are paying for a better quality machine, even though the basic design is the same. Also, the more expensive models often have features that a less expensive import may lack.

I suspect that the smaller importers are probably all over the map as far as QC is concerned. But most are likely in the same boat as HF.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!