Thread: Atlas Rotary Table

Default Atlas Rotary Table

Somebody wanted pictures of an Atlas Rotary Table?

I think that is not a rotary table,but an indexing table. I saw one similar in the 60's for just milling hexagons.

You're right George,it is an indexing table. Somebody wanted pictures of one and I have one so...........

That would be me...I am just going by what/how it is "labeled" (rotary table) by most when talking or referencing it.

From those pics it looks like mine is complete.

Calling it an "indexing table" could relate to my question about how the table is held in-between the indexed holes...if it was never meant to be, fine but I then wonder why the need for the degree markings...

Easiest spotted in the 3rd photo, you can lock the table in any angular position by tightening the two (one on either side) nuts. A thin spanner wrench will fit under the casting lip. The discrimination is an angular one degree, but the accuracy is definitely less than that. As mentioned, there is no way to mill circularly on those tables, so they function more as angular setting devices or a dividing device. One benefit over tables with a worm gear to turn the table is height. The height of those tables is very low with the diameter comparatively large. I used one for a bit on my Rusnok mill, and it was a great fit for that machine. I figure the design was settled on originally due the lack of vertical travel on the Atlas Horiz. Mill.
    Last edited by Arthur.Marks; 03-30-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Thumbs up

Arthur.Marks : a thousand thanks , precisely what I needed to know.

Hey. Don't mention it. No effin' trouble at all.

Haha! Rusty, Even though I didn't have the original question I will extend my thanks to you. Personally, I don't even know which thread the original question originated from, but I appreciate you time in answering the request for photos. I tend to see this forum more as a community than a simple answer/solution list. Your effort has not gone unnoticed

Rustybolt: apologies, no slight intended

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=53510