Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Pumps

Default Vacuum Pumps

I'm looking for a vacuum pump for laminating/veneering, but the prices I'm seeing for 4 - 6 cfm units are a bit steep for me. Anyone know of an affordable solution within reach for a reasonably well equipped HSM?

So, how does one pump a vacuum?

You don't need a "vacuum pump", just a decent air pump that will pull a few inches negative pressure. How exactly do you intend to employ it?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    So, how does one pump a vacuum?
    My boss who has spent most of his career working around vacuum chambers often describes himself as "an expert on making nothing."

An old milking machine pump may be just what you need. Check with local dairies that have shut down.
    Jim

Application is wood laminating and veneering. First application is gluing skins to torsion boxes up to 4' x 8' or so. I could screw them down, then pull the screws and fill the holes when the glue has set, but vacuum would be more convenient.

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/vacuumpump.html

Since the pumps can be free you can increase CFM cheaply by ganging them (or correct the leaks at the source).

look for :_

USA made Thomas comp ...

as in picture ..this is one i found a while back in 2009 ..cost 6..it is also a vacuum pump.

all the best..markj

Price varies by cfm and the amount of vacuum you want to draw. Do you really need 4-6cfm? You can get an automotive air conditioner vacuum pump in the 1-2cfm range that will draw enough vacuum to vaporize (boil) an ice cube for less than $100. I also have one that will rip the skin from your hand and suck all the fluid and tissue out of your arm in less than three milliseconds. But that's probably not the one you want.

Default How to get around the cost of a large vacuum pump.

How about having a large vacuum tank and a small vacuum pump to pull a vacuum in it. This way you would be able to use a smaller pump and still have a almost instantaneous vacuum on your product when needed by opening a valve to your product. This is done when one manufacturer I know makes Hot Tubs (Spas) from a flat sheet of plastic when it is hot enough to form without cracking. ------don