Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost o/t.

Default Almost o/t.

I was brought up in a world where working on Sundays was regarded as sinful unless absolutely essential work was being done. and most folk went to church on Sundays. The world seems to have generally moved on, here, in Ontario, shops and many businesses open on Sundays.After a lapse of many years about 5 years ago I started going to church again, initially just to keep my wife company, but i have found that attending has changed my outlook a little.I have slowly stopped doing much work in my shop on Sundays, though I do go in and tidy up and clean round to get it all tidy and clean for a fresh start on Mondays. I wonder , how do others reconcile their beliefs with the desire to get in the shop and get on with the work which is ( Sometimes!!) waiting and the projects which are always pending. Regards David Powell.

I have something of the same dilemma. While I can intellectually challenge those rules from childhood and the rationale, I find I still think I should wait till Monday to mow the grass, that I should dress better on Sunday and generally that is should somehow be different.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

I can't quote the verse but the good book says that the Sabboth was made for man. I believe to rest & enjoy family.worship,reflect,etc. If it gives you peace to tidy up, catch up, IMHO I see no harm. And I'm not going to get in the arguement about what day is the Sabboth. Today I took my oldest son & his wife to lunch along with my wife. I'm going to be a Grandpa!
    Then I went & picked up a truck crane while the rest went to the movies.
    Last edited by flylo; 04-02-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich theory of life." Theodore Roosevelt

Aside from any religious connection, I think that the seven day week is in sync with one of the natural rhythms that most people follow. It's a healthy thing to break the work period with a day of rest, contemplation and change of routine.

Dave Cameron

I would dare say this isnt "almost ot," this is so far off topic as to be borderline instantaneous locked thread ...nothing works folks up more than discussion of politics and religion. Not complaining, just saying that this probably isnt a good place to discuss this topic. Do not be surprised if it gets shut down rather quickly.

That being said, remember that everything that has been written, said, or taught about religion has been done so by man. Attending church does not make you any better of a person than someone who rarely attends, nor does giving up an entire day, and thinking there is something you "must" do (other than be a "good" person and revere the holy) IMHO simply makes you a hypocrite.

Yes, I would say I am more religious than most. Yes, I do attend regularly. No, I do not give up an entire day. Relaxation and family time for me typically equals time in the shop or working around the house or yard, and I believe that is the essence of what various religions preach regarding a holy day - religion, family, and personal relaxation/reflection.
    Last edited by justanengineer; 04-01-2012 at 11:26 PM.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Default Attendance at church

First off, I do not attend at any thing you could call regular. However, I am on first person names with the local priests and friends. I use my sundays as I did when I was a kid; refleck, enjoy, relax. I help out when requested at the church(es). My point is: I believe, but I also believe I can serve like the proverbial carpenter(sp?). Do what you can to help others, when necessary. MY shop is my sanctuary, Wayne.

I find that working Sunday probably means that you also worked Saturday, which in turn probably means that you aren't getting a day off that week. That's not really healthy. In my mind, there isn't any particular day of the week that you must take off- more to the point is that you should be having some time off on a fairly regular basis. Doesn't have to be Sunday, but it should be a time when you can be with family. Feeling guilty about working on a Sunday to me is irrational. If you feel guilty, it should be because you aren't spending enough time with family, or taking some time out for yourself. Even if you are doing your own thing in your own shop, you need to take time away from it.

If you're already getting this kind of variety throughout the week, then I see no reason why you shouldn't work on a Sunday if it works for you.

While I don't regularly attend church, we do try to have Sunday be a "family day" when possible. The major exceptions are when the weather is co-operative in seeding, spraying and harvest - if we can make dust, we do! Usually with my oldest boy riding in the second seat in the combine!

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by justanengineer
    I would dare say this isnt "almost ot," this is so far off topic as to be borderline instantaneous locked thread ...nothing works folks up more than discussion of politics and religion. Not complaining, just saying that this probably isnt a good place to discuss this topic. Do not be surprised if it gets shut down rather quickly.

That being said, remember that everything that has been written, said, or taught about religion has been done so by man. Attending church does not make you any better of a person than someone who rarely attends, nor does giving up an entire day, and thinking there is something you "must" do (other than be a "good" person and revere the holy) IMHO simply makes you a hypocrite.

Yes, I would say I am more religious than most. Yes, I do attend regularly. No, I do not give up an entire day. Relaxation and family time for me typically equals time in the shop or working around the house or yard, and I believe that is the essence of what various religions preach regarding a holy day - religion, family, and personal relaxation/reflection.
    As I see it, until your post and since your post all is fine with this thread. Looks like a civil conversation to me with people of a like mindset. If non-believers are reading they are being polite and staying out of a discussion that holds no interest to them.

As for myself I am a believer but don't spend much time on soap boxes. I will say that I miss the notion that Sunday was always a special time in our home. Mom and I went to church and when we got home we always piled into the car and went out to see my grandparents. Frequently there was one more stop on the way home to visit a relative whose rotation had turned up on dad's mental list. Sunday was also a day for the Lake in the summer. Now it seems Sunday is just a day for Home Depot or Loews to do things you just couldn't possibly manage to get done the other 6 days/near 24hrs of the week. Were I a child again I think I'd prefer granddads to Lowes.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Thank God I'm an agnostic...........................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.