Thread: Motorcycle clutch grip/cable question

Default Motorcycle clutch grip/cable question

Okay,here goes,I need two complete,but they aren't going on a bike.

I want to build an overgrown version of a DR Brush cutter-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNu2sKPViuo

I've got a Hydrostatic trans axle from a riding mower I want to use for propulsion.It has a lever to control speed and direction which is spring loaded to neutral.I won't drive the machine directly off the trans axle,but instead through a chain reduction down to the drive wheels.That should give me better control over the speed range and lower the top end speed to a brisk walking pace.

The best idea I've come up with to control the thing are two motorcycle clutch grips.One for forward and one for reverse with the reverse side limited to a much lower max speed.The right hand grip would be forward and the left reverse with the machine being in neutral when both grips are released.

Problem is I don't know much about what to look for in the way of clutch grips.Ideally something to fit either a 1" or 1-1/16" OD tube handle with about 1 or 1-1/2" travel.

Any suggestions?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Go to ebay and look for Harley clutch cable. There are many pages of Harley parts.

Suzuki savages have 1" diameter bars also, and the parts are dirt cheap used. I bought a whole parts bike for $50

Okay will do,which models are likely to have the longest cables?I'm thinking something nearly 4' in length may be in order.

If you have a cycle shop in the area, preferably one with crusty old bike mechanics, they'll be able to make custom length cables. (its sort of a lost art,thats why you need to seek out the grey beards) For levers, any number of aftermarket cycle parts sources will work. There are lots of third party companies putting out Harley parts, and Harley use 1" bars. Custom Chrome springs to mind. When I was a tech at a Harley shop, we were constantly installing chrome controls on bikes. I'm sure if you have a Harley shop nearby, you'd be able to get a couple of cheap clutch lever assemblies they took off bikes.

Edit: I forgot to say, you may not need custom length. It's been a while since I was a tech, but I want to say the smaller bikes, softails and dynas, used 50ish inch clutch cables. Dressers were just over 5 feet long. But they're readily available in many lengths to fit the wide range of bars people fit to bikes.
    Last edited by nitsuj; 04-02-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Nitsuj,thanks for that,I know just such a place,should be a place to start.

If the bike shop search comes up short, Motion-Pro makes them, too.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/custom/

Based on what you're talking about, you might consider making them yourself. That way if you need some sort of specific clevis or something it'll be easy.