Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have any of you had this problem with your glasses?

Don't bother with plastic lenses!

Safety glass lenses only, with insurance, d**n the cost, eyes are much more expensive to replace.

Personally I doubt if there actually is such a thing as scratch resistant plastic lenses. I got talked into trying plastic twice and even with the coating they seemed as soft as butter, although I never ran into any trouble with the coating peeling off. Its glass from now on for me.

Mike

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by bob_s
    Don't bother with plastic lenses!

Safety glass lenses only, with insurance, d**n the cost, eyes are much more expensive to replace.

How extremely odd that someone would say this.................

"Safety glass" will break, and it shatters into little cubes, that are propelled into your eye, shredding it.

Polycarbonate plastic safety lenses will often take a shot from a 22 cal pistol without shattering, let alone a "normal impact'. Try that with a glass lens.....

Even if the plastic lens comes out of the frame, there is at least a chance that the lens will land on your eyesocket and save the eye.

With the glass, you may trade a glass lens for a glass eye.

Do NOT use paper towels to clean your lenses. I use only KimWipes. We use them on Fiber Optic connectors at work. Paper towels will put microscopic scratches on the lenses that add up over time and become the dreaded haze.

http://www.amazon.com/KIM34155-Kimwi...4105888&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by SGW
    Any ideas how to remove the coating without harming the lenses? Alcohol? acetone? Glass cleaner? scraper?
    I used Armour Etch to remove the anti-glare coating from mine. I don't know if any damage was done to the UV protection. You probably want to take the lenses out of the frames - I didn't on the first lens and it seems to have damaged the finish a bit.

Standard disclaimers apply...