Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huanyang VFDs

Default Huanyang VFDs

The 3hp Huanyang VFD on my Harrison L5 has been working well for some time, but there are a couple of niggles.

A more complete english manual has been posted on-line;

http://www.etech.net.au/Huanyang/Hua...h_Manual-c.pdf

My main niggle is the drive tripping on decelleration (if I've got the 4 jaw on)due to exceeding the DC bus limit. I may get around to installing the braking components, but until then I've spotted a setting in the new manual. You can set an anti-stall on acceleration, so if the inverter exceeds it's 150% current limit it will stop accelerating until the current falls. There's a similar setting for decelleration, it will pause until the voltage drops below the bus limit.

Most if not all of these drives sourced via ebay do not have the braking components installed. They also usually have auxillary relays missing and the RS485 comms chip. Information on retrofitting these components can be found in the Mach3 plugin thread; http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...c,14182.0.html

Thanks. That may be helpful!

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

I bought a 3HP model when I was installing my SB13 lathe. The price was an astounding 1/3 of the price of my 2HP Lenze AC Tech drive. I did not expect much from the drive but I did need a 3HP yesterday at a price that I could afford to throw it away if my automation skills failed. Surprise! the drive has functioned flawlessly for 3 mo. (I still expect the worst considering the price)
    All my braking components are installed the drive is capable of bringing the lathe to a sudden shuddering halt. I am missing some of the diagnostic functions like the drive temperature however all the remote functions work to the point where the controls on my drive are completely duplicated on a remote switch box.
    The new manual link posted is still written in a dialect of Chinglish that defies translation making programing a challenge and not for the uninitiated.

Last edited by MetalMunger; 04-19-2012 at 04:48 PM.

That is a nice bit of panel work there but I think you have overcooked the switches.

You need one switch, center off, left for forward, right for reverse.....OK I might conceed the mushroom.
    "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMunger
    All my braking components are installed the drive is capable of bringing the lathe to a sudden shuddering halt.
    I've just collected the two 1.5Kw drives for my Myford MG12 cylindrical grinder. I've only opened one so far, the RS485 chip is present, but it is lacking the components needed for dynamic braking (DC injection braking is still avaiable of course). The CPU board is a different design with the addition +5 and +24 volt terminals and provision for only one auxillary relay (present).

One relay (SPCO) should be enough to create the interlocks I need between hydraulic pump, wheelhead and workhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidhcnc
    That is a nice bit of panel work there but I think you have overcooked the switches.

You need one switch, center off, left for forward, right for reverse.....OK I might conceed the mushroom.
    Ahh.
    Some switches are not shown, like da feet brake footy sw. With a maintained contact as you describe a true E-Stop circuit cannot be implemented without difficulty also there is the danger of the unit being stopped due to a power failure, circuit breaker or other and restarting when power is restored.
    An E-Stop or mushroom sw. within reach might have made a diff to the girl who got sucked into the lathe by her hair, maybe not. I will opt for over design and allow Murphy to bypass my humble shop.

Quote Originally Posted by EVguru
    I've only opened one so far, the RS485 chip is present, but it is lacking the components needed for dynamic braking (DC injection braking is still avaiable of course).
    All That is needed is the DC injection Braking. You must however read the manual 4 times in a cemetery in New Orleans at midnight and make a deal with Marie Laveau. I had to experiment several times with the settings when at last you hit on the right combo the drive can stop an 8" 4-Jaw chuck NOW!
    As I said not for the uninitiated.
    Do not forget to wire an E-Stop, Murphy lurks.

I've found DC injection braking to be ineffective on some drives.

Best bet is to fit a braking resistor, you can then set the decel ramp as low as you want. Having the spindle stop rapidly is nice.

You don't need to buy their braking resistor. I've used cheap cartridge heaters on many installations, just find a cartridge heater with similar resistance to what's on their chart and mount it to the panel. On a lathe you won't be cycling the drive on and off rapidly so the heater won't get hot and you shouldn't need any heatsink.

Chris

Glad you posted this as I bought 5-4 HP drives for $126ea/delv on ebay. Don't have the tools placed yet so I haven't used them. This will help a lot. Thanks!
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri in the USA)

One good thing about DC injection is the speed of stopping....

In the regular way of things, the drive can generally only *decelerate* at the same rate as the drive can *accelerate* the same load. Decel is essentially "accel with a minus sign", and the same current limits etc apply.

Depending on the amount of DC injected, the stopping can vary from pretty darn quick, to nearly an instant stop.

In fact, a competitor to the hated "Sawstop" uses it, and stops with a "slam".

The disadvantage is that DC injection puts a lot of heat in the rotor if done very often.