Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pricing Help-Atlas Shaper

Default Pricing Help-Atlas Shaper

The last of my Atlas machines needs to find a new home cuz I need the space. The Lathe and Mill were easy sells last summer as there were comparable sales in my area to help me price the items right. This Shaper is a different story. Haven't seen on for sale local for a long time and there is nothing currently on Ebay and only found one "completed sale" and it was way high.

I'm in the Omaha where there is not a ton of this type of machine on the market, any good ideas on what I should price this thing at. I was thinking $500-$700. Am I way out of line one way or the other?

regards

3t

I paid $800 for mine. It was complete, is in great shape and works like a new one. I got my money's worth. Wish I could find the matching mill locally.

There one just like yours I called about a week ago & called again yesterday & he said I was the only call. He's asking $600 but I don't think He'll get it. Today I found a larger one of a different brand for $150. It needs a good cleaning but is under power & works fine.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich theory of life." Theodore Roosevelt

Why is it that when someone has one of these for sale or comtemplating selling they have to live half way across the country?. Last one I looked at seller was in upstate New York. We do not see these little shapers here in Louisiana. Frank

Europe-Asia border aka somewhere on the Saros

Quote Originally Posted by Frank46
    Why is it that when someone has one of these for sale or comtemplating selling they have to live half way across the country?. Last one I looked at seller was in upstate New York. We do not see these little shapers here in Louisiana. Frank
    Don`t see them much in Western Canada either.

Classic,
    When I have the money, I don`t have the time...
    When I have the time, I don`t have the money..........

When I do have the time and money, I can`t find one.
    Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Europe-Asia border aka somewhere on the Saros

Quote Originally Posted by camdigger
    Don`t see them much in Western Canada either.

Classic,
    When I have the money, I don`t have the time...
    When I have the time, I don`t have the money..........

When I do have the time and money, I can`t find one.

Does make me wonder what shipping to central Alberta might be. I suspect the bigger hassle would be getting it across the 49th (aka the medicine line).
    Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Camdigger has it about right, I've only seen ads for two in the past 3 years or so, a later model Alba and a South Bend (both about the same size), in western Canada prices are high, those two were around $1600 (I assume both sold as ads were down long before renew time frame).
    A bit bigger does not really change the price (slightly larger stroke by Sheldon and Logan I think), a lot larger does show up on occasion and those too are about the same.

I have two.... (need to have just one).

One I bought for $150 off craig's list , the other I bought for $200, and had to force the seller (older family member) to take that much. Bought it for the vise.

I hear of these $1200 shapers, but have never seen one actually advertised for that much locally.

Now, a worn-out south bend 9" model C lathe with NO accessories...... Those list every time for $1200+. Don't know if they actually get it.

I bought a really nice Logan 8" shaper with a vice ect. fully tooled for $950.00 that had been on the S.F.Bay area Craigslist for most of a year. The guy, a retired machinist, restored the machine + made a really nice vice for it. The price? $950.00 was worth it to me. The drive to get it was the kicker, about 23 hrs. I do however have the means to cut internal keyways,splines ect. I have made splined locking lugs for a clutch assy. I'm building, and Vee ways in a block of steel to fit my lathe bed for the large steadyrest I'm building for turning/threading hyd. cylinder tubing. The uses are endless, but without one the machinist is doing allot of the work by hand, and thats allot of time that I don't have. I can now do projects in a timely manner that outherwise I wouldn't have even started on due to effort and time issiue. It is nice to have the proper tools to do the job. Due to my location, everything is far away. And everytime I travel to by someting off Craigslist that is many hours away I allways say I'll never do that again. Then I'll find something else. I try to stay off of Craigslist for that reason alone. Kinda like; I need a tool fix cause I'm a tool junkie!

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers
    I hear of these $1200 shapers, but have never seen one actually advertised for that much locally.
    I bettered that number. But it was perfect, no wear. With vise and guards and stand. It been taken apart to move into a basement and never put back together again; the bearing surfaces looked like they had never be used

When I got it numerous parts were missing including some big items like the base casting. I scrounged, bought from ebay and made several parts to get it as like original. Vise recondition (or rather conditioned, it was far perfect from the factory) via scraping. Then I imported Atlas legs at no small cost and made the top and shelf out of hard maple, all with a handlplane. For the condition of the machine and how effort and cost it took complete the package the price was fair. Sadly, it fell victim to the space crunch, had to go to make room for the bport cnc

Last edited by Mcgyver; 04-23-2012 at 10:39 AM.