Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghetto repairs

Lightbulb Ghetto repairs

I like seeing what others come up with, here's one of mine.

My son dropped by to do some unrelated car repair and I found his drivers window handle busted off at the end of the spline. Since this is a safety issue I decided to repair it.

This is on a 1999 VW Golf in quite a sorry esthetic state.
    I cut around the old handle with a RotoZip, made a bushing and cross-drilled the old crank shaft. The new "handle" is bent from a washing machine shipping bolt that I just couldn't toss. Still have 3 more.

Door

Handle Closeup

Materials just about free, labour about $200.
    If you guys have any pics of Ghetto repair I'd love to see them!
    Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

My brother was going through about a starter a week on his van. (it was stripping the teeth on the starter) I took a look at it and found that the dust cover between the engine and transmission is what held the starter in place but the one on his van was warn out and it allowed the starter to move away the flywheel. So I am too F-ing lazy to drop a transmission just to replace the dust cover so I just drove a stick between the starter and the engine, pushing this end out pushes the other end with the starter gear closer to the flywheel.

It has been working for over a year now

Quote Originally Posted by grizzzly
    My brother was going through about a starter a week on his van. (it was stripping the teeth on the starter) I took a look at it and found that the dust cover between the engine and transmission is what held the starter in place but the one on his van was warn out and it allowed the starter to move away the flywheel. So I am too F-ing lazy to drop a transmission just to replace the dust cover so I just drove a stick between the starter and the engine, pushing this end out pushes the other end with the starter gear closer to the flywheel.

It has been working for over a year now
    Thats really sticken it to the man!

Good interesting ideas guys!!

...so I just drove a stick between the starter and the engine, pushing this end out pushes the other end with the starter gear closer to the flywheel.
    Awesome. Seriously.

..... so I just drove a stick between the starter and the engine, pushing this end out pushes the other end with the starter gear closer to the flywheel.

It is just that sort of disgusting slovenliness that gives home shoppers such a bad name.

Next time do it properly, peel the bark off and daube on a bit of creasoate!

I didn't take any pics but about a month ago the starter on our lawn mower went out for the third time. I took a starter from a honda car to the band saw to cut off the end, welded the snout from the lawn mower starter to the honda car starter and after about 2 hours and grinding and cutting "stuff that was in the way" the starter is on and working good.
    Andy

Interesting fix Andy, those little starters new, they want an arm and a leg for them!!
    (Much like buying a new starter for an ATV!!)

Andy, if you have a good battery on the mower you won't even have to put gas in the mower. You can probably cut the grass using only the starter.
    You'll be the first on the block with a hybrid mower.

Certainly not my work but I bumped into this a while ago and it seems to fit into the ghetto repair category.
    Looks like things could get very interesting in the event of an accident.

Home
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience....well that comes from poor judgment.

Now that is a GREAT one!!

That guy must be in the swedish army with a haircut like that!!