Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to get a tap out brook off

Exclamation how to get a tap out brook off

I have a 1/4 -20 tap brook off in stainless that is 3/4 thick, so how do I get it out Brett

With an EDM.

Default thanks but

I do not have a edm Brett

Speak very, very kindly to it, and offer it a hole in some very expensive metal

On a more serious note, I think you can dissolve it out- seems to me someone posted about that some months ago.

I broke a tap today- not really torquing on it at the time, but had been previously. All I could do was knock off the sharp end that was sticking up and leave it like that. Three out of four bolts will hold-

The best stuff I've found to make tapping easier, in all metals, is AnchorLube G771. I like that it doesn't run all over the place, doesn't smell, and it works.

Is it a through hole? If so, you can break it apart with a punch and some patience. Hit it hard and try to shatter it, then pick out what you can and repeat the process until the tap is out. You'll probably want to chase the threads afterward with a fresh tap. This will probably work ok with a blind hole too, but the pieces will be harder to remove.
    Stuart de Haro

Is the part expensive you are working on. Could remake it. Stinks but always an option. I've never tried but what about a carbide drill.

Might find a shop that has edm. I bought a nice tap burner which is basically an edm drill press that can burn them out. You could also post location and perhaps someone could help direct you.

I'd first try to weld a nut to it. If it's a through hole and that didn't work, I'd blow it out with the torch.

Left handed drills work great to remove taps. Or as stated before, shatter it with a punch or weld a nut onto it if possible.

If you have the time, patience, and a fondness for DIY, http://modelenginenews.org/meng/edm/index.html

Otherwise, a Walton tap extractor might work:

http://www.waltontools.com/products/...achsc-hand.htm

For aluminum you can boil the part in a solution of Alum and it will dissolve the tap out over time. Don't know if it will attack the stainless or not.