Thread: cnc mill with plastic "shims"?

Hybrid View

Default cnc mill with plastic "shims"?

I have a small hobby/job shop that i have been piecing together (cheaply of course). I've wanted to add a cnc machine so I bought a cnc knee mill for scrap value, and got around to the rebuilding of it (5bvk Hurco like machine). I was taking the table off to clean the ways surface rust(no biggie vaporust is the shiznit) when i saw these plastic shims on the jib and saddle ways . i've been to several state fairs and a cat rodeo, and i've never seen something like that. My thoughts are to remove check for suareness and shim if needed behind the gib with brass/steel shimstock.
    Also the gib adjustment screws seem odd, anyone seen or worked on something like this?
    thanks,
    toag

I don't have any experience with that machine nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night but maybe the plastic is what's left of a high-tech plastic (Rulon or the like) anti-friction shim? Put there by the manuf. to reduce ye olde stick-slip issues? Seems plausible to me.

You can probably get the replacement shim for only $15,387.98.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Thats what i was thinking but they weren't on the operation manual/parts list. I am removing the table to clean the ways, and i can buy some 1/32 Rulon from mcmaster carr for $50 or so, but would it work without them, or would it mess the ways up?

Normally to put down turcite the surface is rough so the glue will stick. It is just going to depend on if someone added it later. You just may have a machine that is totally clapped out and this was someones attempt to make it usable.

yikes, and Doh!

Yeah, pretty much. So what you are going to have to do is pull the table off an inspect. If it was designed for turcite and the rough machined metal comes into contact with the slide way below it will ruin them. And you just cut replace the turcite and put it back together. It must be scraped in just like cast iron ways.

If not and the machine is just worn out then there is no real fix other than a complete rebuild. $$$.