Thread: Colt ? black powder flask

Default Colt ? black powder flask

I have come into possession of what I think is an early Colt black powder flask, in all of my on line searching every picture of the item is identical to what I have the decoration on the sides hammered or stamped to stick out shows an eagle with out spread wings standing on a mound with a flint lock pistol and a telescope, talked to one dealer and he wanted $150.00 to look at it. Now the dims. 4 1/4" tall 1 7/8" wide and 1" thick, main body is copper, assembly ring is brass mounted with 3 steel screws this also holds the torsion spring, lever to open spout closer, spout is 13/16" tall and 1/4" diameter at the tip. So do I have a real flask or clone, everything I read stated that the repos. used brass screws. I still haven't mastered picture posting, so any ideas of value, I need to convert this into some cash. I have a digital camera with macro just don't know how to post.

Hard to say what you have without pictures. I am not sure how you add pictures either but think they have to be uploaded to something like photobucket or other online picture hosting site. When you are posting or replying, if you click the icon of the mountains and sun, you can enter the url of the hosted picture.

I would use google or another search engine and just type in what you have and see what pops up. Done this sometimes researching black powder cartridge rifles and its amazing the number of hits you sometimes get. Hope this helps. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by duckman
    Now the dims. 4 1/4" tall 1 7/8" wide and 1" thick, main body is copper, assembly ring is brass mounted with 3 steel screws this also holds the torsion spring, lever to open spout closer, spout is 13/16" tall and 1/4" diameter at the tip. So do I have a real flask or clone, everything I read stated that the repos. used brass screws.
    I don't know how to tell a reproduction from a real one, but I can tell you the reproduction ones can have brass or metal screws. (my reproduction one had steel screws... wish I knew where it was, so I could post a picture for you....)

one hundred and fifty just to look???? I don't know I would darken that door again.