Thread: OT heavy metal gloat

Default OT heavy metal gloat

I need some help from anyone with experience in lab mass calibration to assess my gloat of the day. I have acquired a rice lake weight set without certification and I'm hoping to move them on to a good home. The set ranges from 10# all the way down to 1/32 of an ounce and it's such a spiffy case at first I thought it was a clarinet or other musical instrument. I know the machining content is minimal here but they certainly beautifully finished lumps of stainless steel.

Any ideas on how to go about getting certification for them or where I might go to peddle them? Sorry I don't have photo capabilities so you may not take my word for it but I got them for three bucks and if Ebay is any indication they may be thousands of dollars for a new set. I lurk here just about every day for at least a little while but I seldom post or comment. I never like to expose my ignorance for public inspection and I'm hoping for kindness from strangers here, but I've got no clue where to turn and this is easily the smartest room I know on the net. Where else can I get tips on configuring my scanning electron microscope in real time???

thanks in advance,

Jim

Without certification , they are paper weights.There are calibration labs available. Do a search for them. Ask for a quote for the number of standards you have. This is not inexpensive though! You have to balance the cost against the expected return. Be prepared to invest many time your $3 initial cost. Bob.

Any calibration lab can verify them and stick a calibration sticker on them. They have NIST traceable scales.

They might have had their cert labels removed because they were stored improperly, somehow been damaged or otherwise become suspect. For your own use, you can calibrate them yourself if you have access to a reliable scale, such as in a meat market or such. Such "calibration" will not be dead-nuts accurate to actual weight, but will usually work if you are looking for repeatablility, rather than accuracy to +- grain weight.

Pops

I have the same problem kinda, I just bought a set of semi truck scales like the weigh masters use. They seem to match but I'm sure they need to be worth anything. Maybe find a nice weigh master & compare mine & his.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich theory of life." Theodore Roosevelt
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

If you are looking for verification and not a calibration sticker, you could go to a post office and check them out on their scales which I believe are calibrated.

I should have mentioned in my last post, If the weights are traceable they will each have a serial no. The calibration lab will simply supply a document listing each weight , serial no, actual weight, and the class of accuracy that it meets. If they have no serial no, I woudn't worry about the accuracy, as they are normal working weights and not meant to meet a given standard . Bob. PS, a lab will never put any sticker on a weight or alter it in any way, they won't even touch them with bare hands.
    Last edited by Bob Fisher; 05-16-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Default thanks for the help

I appreciate everyone's input on my question. I found a local cert lab and I will call them in the morning to see what's what.

regards,

Jim

I know less than nothing about what you actualy have. But I worked in a coal testing lab back in the 1970s. Postal scales just aren't going to cut it. We had no problems back then accurately measureing on tested scales to a 1,000th of gram. If you have what I think you do. Your going to need certified scales far better than that.

Pete