Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My latest welding project--a big grill.

Never saw a gravity bomb so cleverly disguised......

Paint it yellow and it would look just like the little submarine my local marina parks in the front for advertising I suppose.

Nice work, let us know how it cooks.

doug

I really like the swing out shelves. I may have to steal that from you if you don’t mind. Looks like a 250gal propane tank.
    http://www.awtank.com/assets/base/Pr...pane_Tanks.pdf
    Last edited by jeremy13; 05-17-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Some heat shields to protect the tires??? have you seen the video of what happens when you weld on a rim???? not pretty. would be cautious with heat around a tire, anyway!!

There will be several inches of clearance between the tank and the tires all around, and fenders will be installed over the tires. We'll probably put a shield on the inner side of the fender, too.

With the dampers on the ends closest to the tires, the inflow of air will tend to keep the area from getting too hot. The pans that hold the charcoal inside the tank are a couple inches away from the dampers.

I mentioned earlier about the problems with putting a smoker tank crosswise on a trailer. Here's one solution I saw a while back.

We use larger wheels/tires on our smoker trailers, so it's really difficult to get enough clearance. Putting the heavy firebox off to one side like that puts too much weight on one tire.

Here's how I cut the end of the tank.

There was a little too much flex in the 1/8" x 1" flat bar to get it really straight, though.
    Last edited by winchman; 05-18-2012 at 03:07 AM.

Good idea,add a little light welding rod truss work to it and your good.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

We got the materials for the trailer, and I've been busy all week on that. I had just enough time to get the tank tacked on the trailer this afternoon.

There's 3 1/2" clearance between the tank and the liner I put in the fender.

Still to do: expanded metal on the swing-out shelves and inside the ends of the end bells, pans to hold the charcoal, slide out cooking racks, storage box on the tongue, lights, and a few other small things.

Man that makes me want to add another project to the list. Looks great!!!

Seeing this gives me a great tdea for a project. I bought a 8000# 4x8 cast iron DU-ALL layout table, I guess a srface plate about 4" + the webbing bottom, keeping it. With it came it's little brother a 3'x6' or 8; layout table with a 1" top I believe is steel. I want to make 3 long LP burners under it for cooking pancakes,eggs,bacon,sausage etc & make a trailer under it for the local fly-ins.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich theory of life." Theodore Roosevelt

Um,, Flylo,, Over easy please, crispy bacon, and brown toast.

PS. Is that coffee fresh????