That title should spur some wise-A remarks.
For those who remember the last post I made on this, I made the jump. I took some samples over to #3idiotson to experiment, and it looked as if it would work. So, while in the big city for a graduation and great-grandsons' birthday celebrations, I stopped by HF and bought the little 90 amp flux-wire welder. $109 before taxes. I bought the plain black auto-dark helmet. $49 before taxes. I got the gloves for about $10 before tax.
Having never done welding of any type before, it took me 5 tries to get my first pair of welds. I dimpled the edges of the nuts at the center of opposing flats. I learned to make contact with the wire before pulling the trigger. I learned that minimum setting on the welder (70 amps) works just fine. I learned that a wire feed of about 5 (out of 10) works well. I learned that one MUST remember the gloves. I learned that the instinctive jump back when the spark starts is not the right way to handle it.
This weekend, I will be experimenting with welding the washers in place and with using a spacer between the nuts rather than milling the 0.035" x 0.750 grove across the face of one of the nuts.
This procedure will save me MAPP fuel, silver solder, time and appearance. I figure 8 bottles of MAPP, and the silver solder, will pay for the welder and helmet. That is about 3 production runs. As I expect to have to produce 6 to 10 runs this year, it will be worth it. It looks like it will save about 20 minutes per piece in production time. Two pounds of wire costs less than a couple of ounces of silver solder. If the spacer idea works, that will save another 20 minutes per piece.
Thank you all for the help in getting this far along.