Thread: Squaring up round bar?

Default Squaring up round bar?

Would someone please point me to a link that describes this, or outline the steps:

(I'm assuming "squaring up" is the right term for round bar.)

I have a piece of very rough aluminum round bar, 2" D x 4". Ultimately I want to part off a couple of 3/8" disks, diameter isn't crucial. I haven't touched my lathe in months and what I was trying last night--and apparently my brain--wasn't working.

Thanks,

Gary

I would install it in a three-jaw chuck and take light facing cuts until the end is flat. Drill a center hole and insert a center while turning a portion of the OD to clean it up. Reverse the work to have the trued surface in the three-jaw and repeat the process. If possible slice the pieces in the band saw. If you must part in the lathe use the center to help stabilize and reduce chatter for most of the parting off. Parting is probably the single most difficult lathe operation to learn.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Thanks much. A band saw is on the list...

Maybe I'll just use the Sawzall given the depth.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Boucher
    I would install it in a three-jaw chuck and take light facing cuts until the end is flat. Drill a center hole and insert a center while turning a portion of the OD to clean it up. Reverse the work to have the trued surface in the three-jaw and repeat the process. If possible slice the pieces in the band saw. If you must part in the lathe use the center to help stabilize and reduce chatter for most of the parting off. Parting is probably the single most difficult lathe operation to learn.

Cut close to the chuck and turn fast and feed slow

Success...

Thanks again...

Last edited by gfphoto; 05-25-2012 at 08:40 AM.