Thread: it happened again. Case of the missing wrench

Default it happened again. Case of the missing wrench

GGGRRRR
    Well it happened again.
    The case of the missing wrench.
    I was changing the back gear on my lathe for a Metric threading job,
    grabbed my 9/16 wrench, loosened the nut,
    then my phone rang......
    I answered the call, talked for a few minutes, then hung up.
    ...MY WRENCH DISAPPEARED !!!!....
    "What tha...???"
    "Where-the-hell-is-it???"
    I looked everywhere, it just vanished!
    I had to use an adjustable wrench to finish the job.
    This happened at around noon today, and I've looked about 5 times, still haven't found it.
    ?????
    Don't you hate when that happens?

DON'T SWITCH THE LATHE ON.

IT'S STILL STUCK ON THE END OF THE SPINDLE

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Happens to me all the time. I mostly blame it on my wife. She is a closet toolaholic. I would just like to find which closet she is hiding them in.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Glad your not a surgeon. Where did all those tools go? Why yes you jingle when you walk, Nurse please bill the patient for that!
    *Plan for the Future but Live each Day as if it were your Last, for one day it will be* Live Life Bold, Strong, Fearless, Happy, Thankful & at Peace.

I have 3 Starrett scales hiding in my 800sf shop. They just disappeared. Last time I bought them, I bought 6 of them.

Speaking of 9/16 wrenches, I have a set of craftsman combination wrenches that was missing the 9/16. Someone lifted it off my toolcart when I was a lunch. Forward 20 years or so, I bought a used rollaround cart. When the guy helped me load it, I could hear some stuff rolling around in the bottom, under the drawers. One of the wrenches that I found when I got it home and removed some drawers was, you guessed it, a craftsman 9/16 wrench.

Yin/Yang I think.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Yup , I know the experience. sometimes it's in my pocket, not far from where I used it last, under a piece of paper or a glove, or any some where else it should not be, so I try to find something else to use in the meantime. Quite annoying. John

I lost a 9/16 wrench once. A year later I was doing a transmission on a ranger and there stuck on the end of the downpipe nut was my 9/16 snap on wrench.
    Andy

Go buy a new one and the lost one will magicaly return to your tool box.

Wrenches, screwdrivers, screws, frigging glasses (how do you look for glasses when you can't see?) I hate it!!! Happens all the time. Gremlins????

For quite a number of years I've had the problem of not being able to rememer where I put tools and stuff - and if its on a machine or a bench I all too often don't see it even if/when I know its there.

For contrast, I put some white cloth on the bench and sometimes on the machines and put all my stuff I am working on and my tools on it.

It works fine - mostly.

I also use several tool trays - and they work too.

If I can't find/see something I just walk away and clear my mind and look again - and it works - mostly.

It almost always happens when I am really concentrating on something and it obviously doesn't "register" where I put something.

But in any event, if I can't find tool or a part - especially if its on a machine - I shut the machine down and won't start it until I find what I am looking for.

I never leave the shop at the end of a job or the day unless I have put all my tools and parts etc. away. I know what I've had out or used and I know where they belong. If I can't see or find them I keep looking until I see or find them.

Its a pain having to do it but its worth it given the alternatives.