Thread: it happened again. Case of the missing wrench

Default it happened again. Case of the missing wrench

GGGRRRR
    Well it happened again.
    The case of the missing wrench.
    I was changing the back gear on my lathe for a Metric threading job,
    grabbed my 9/16 wrench, loosened the nut,
    then my phone rang......
    I answered the call, talked for a few minutes, then hung up.
    ...MY WRENCH DISAPPEARED !!!!....
    "What tha...???"
    "Where-the-hell-is-it???"
    I looked everywhere, it just vanished!
    I had to use an adjustable wrench to finish the job.
    This happened at around noon today, and I've looked about 5 times, still haven't found it.
    ?????
    Don't you hate when that happens?

DON'T SWITCH THE LATHE ON.

IT'S STILL STUCK ON THE END OF THE SPINDLE

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Happens to me all the time. I mostly blame it on my wife. She is a closet toolaholic. I would just like to find which closet she is hiding them in.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Glad your not a surgeon. Where did all those tools go? Why yes you jingle when you walk, Nurse please bill the patient for that!
    "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

I have 3 Starrett scales hiding in my 800sf shop. They just disappeared. Last time I bought them, I bought 6 of them.

Speaking of 9/16 wrenches, I have a set of craftsman combination wrenches that was missing the 9/16. Someone lifted it off my toolcart when I was a lunch. Forward 20 years or so, I bought a used rollaround cart. When the guy helped me load it, I could hear some stuff rolling around in the bottom, under the drawers. One of the wrenches that I found when I got it home and removed some drawers was, you guessed it, a craftsman 9/16 wrench.

Yin/Yang I think.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Yup , I know the experience. sometimes it's in my pocket, not far from where I used it last, under a piece of paper or a glove, or any some where else it should not be, so I try to find something else to use in the meantime. Quite annoying. John

I lost a 9/16 wrench once. A year later I was doing a transmission on a ranger and there stuck on the end of the downpipe nut was my 9/16 snap on wrench.
    Andy

Go buy a new one and the lost one will magicaly return to your tool box.

Wrenches, screwdrivers, screws, frigging glasses (how do you look for glasses when you can't see?) I hate it!!! Happens all the time. Gremlins????

For quite a number of years I've had the problem of not being able to rememer where I put tools and stuff - and if its on a machine or a bench I all too often don't see it even if/when I know its there.

For contrast, I put some white cloth on the bench and sometimes on the machines and put all my stuff I am working on and my tools on it.

It works fine - mostly.

I also use several tool trays - and they work too.

If I can't find/see something I just walk away and clear my mind and look again - and it works - mostly.

It almost always happens when I am really concentrating on something and it obviously doesn't "register" where I put something.

But in any event, if I can't find tool or a part - especially if its on a machine - I shut the machine down and won't start it until I find what I am looking for.

I never leave the shop at the end of a job or the day unless I have put all my tools and parts etc. away. I know what I've had out or used and I know where they belong. If I can't see or find them I keep looking until I see or find them.

Its a pain having to do it but its worth it given the alternatives.