Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delayed Gloat

Dr Stan Guest

Default Delayed Gloat

A couple of years ago I picked up a mechanical press at an estate sale for $100. Could not have bought the steel for that price. It's been sitting around waiting to be worked on as it did not have any easy means to raise & lower the horizontal cross member except by brute force.

I had a winch left over from a previous project so I bought some overhead door pulleys and some 3/16" wire cable and went to work. Now its quite easy to raise & lower.

I had also picked up this arbor press so I stole the idea from a previous post to hang it on the side of my large press. I also bought it for little of nothing as it was missing the round plate with the slots. Made one from a piece of plate I found lying along the side of the road one day.

The arbor press is a Greenerd #2 which I assume means it has a 2 ton capacity. Not familiar with this brand, but it has been chrome plated at some point and has a 3/8" reamed hole in the end of the ram with a drilled & tapped cross hole for a set screw. The previous owner used it to extract primer caps from used rounds. So I made a consumable end for the ram that can be dressed up/replaced as necessary.

The mechanical press is a bit of a mystery. It is certainly US made as it was fabricated from Birmingham Steel. The only markings (other than Birmingham) are the numbers "20-7" cast into the ratchet mechanism. It's a lot slower than hydraulic, but boy can it create some force! If anyone can ID this press I'd appreciate knowing who made it, where, and possibly its vintage.

Thanks,

Stan

And oh, BTW that is a '68 Mustang coupe upside down on a rotisserie in the background.

Can't help you with any ID on the presses, but nice set up.

I can't help you on the I.D's either. But just due to various jobs, I've seen more than a few higher powered presses. It's obviously up to you, But every single one of those H type presses had in one way or another a expanded metal cage that could be swung or lowered into place to contain any of the larger shrapnel, Or loose and or incorrectly aligned parts blowing apart or shooting out from under the the press ram under the high pressures.

And no I'm not a safety fanatic. I just thought I'd mention it.

Pete

Dr Stan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by uncle pete
    every single one of those H type presses had in one way or another a expanded metal cage that could be swung or lowered into place to contain any of the larger shrapnel, Or loose and or incorrectly aligned parts blowing apart or shooting out from under the the press ram under the high pressures.
    Good idea. I've got some expanded metal I could use.

I would guess the 20-7 might mean 20 ton, 7" stroke, just a guess. Looks good! By the way YOU SUCK! Now it's official!
    "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

I have a Chinese 3 ton arbor press with a square ram.

Most of these presses - USA included - seem to have a similar profile.

This may help in that regard:
    https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Arbor-Press

I soon found out that I needed to anchor the press to the shop floor even with a smallish keyway.

Greenerd is still around AFAIK-

http://www.greenerd.com/arborpress-d...aspx?pressid=5

It's also possible that the H-frame is a Greenerd product as well.We have a 5ton ratchet model at work,very good presses.

Oh,ya you suck!
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I know the thread is old but any chance of some pics of the pulley and rigging? Looking to do the same to my press but can't seem to wrap my brain around on how the cable and pulley are rigged to keep the table level.

ImPRESSive...

-Jerry

Dr Stan Guest

Here are some more images that show the way I mounted the winch & cable. I used the turnbuckle to adjust the two cables so the horizontal channel raises & lowers fairly evenly.