Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you store large drill bits?

Default How do you store large drill bits?

I'm not a flea market shopper, but once in a while, my wife talks me into going to one. We've been to 2 flea markets in the last 3 years. At both, I stumbled across a large box of American made morse taper drill bits. These apparently don't sell we'll because no one can figure out how to use them in their cordless drill. Anyhow, today's score was a large box of easily over 100 drills, ranging from smallish to 1" in morse 1&2 taper. Plus some reamers. Guy wanted 50 cents a piece, but took $10 for the whole box. Some are worthless, but many are new or almost new. (I also got a nice old, but never used condition, dial type 0-175 lbs torque wrench. $30)

So, I now have a pretty big collection of these large bits. I don't want them just banging around in a pile in a drawer, but I obviously don't have an index large enough for all of them. So I'm just curious how you creative folks are storing these things.

The ones at school are stored in the tubes they came in. It would be
    nice to use some cardboard tubes with the end closed and labeled on
    the sides with a big black numbers of the sizes. The telescoping ones
    they come in would be GREAT but I don't know of any place to buy them. How about using PVC pipe and gluing caps on one end, the
    other removable?
    ...Lew...

I used pieces of 2" square tubing. Drill holes in them to stand the bits upright. I think the top hole needed to be 1/32" smaller than the bottom hole to keep them from rattling too much. Then just attach the 2" tubing to some wall brackets, bench top, whatever...

Andrew

Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

I sandwiched two 1"X 2" rails between two pieces of plywood, then drilled a bunch of holes thru it to hold the drills. Then put two more 1" X 2" rails under it for clearance.

I drilled a 13 x 9 grid of holes in the base of an up-turned cabinet drawer, then cut a MT2 taper in them using a chopped-up 16mm MT2 taper drill put in my drill chuck backwards.

Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj
    I don't want them just banging around in a pile in a drawer,........... So I'm just curious how you creative folks are storing these things.
    Yeah, I just can't believe how SOME people mistreat their tools. You'd think they would know better.

Here's how I store mine:

A big index is on my to do list, but life keeps getting in the way. So for now I just open and close the drawer SLOWLY.

Thanks to all of you for showing your solutions - one of these days - when my ship comes in - in my spare time - as soon as I can etc.

Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

At great expense of time and material I have made a well organised storage unit to hold my drills in ascending order of size.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I'm sooooooo sorry John.

I had no idea I could let my drills get so disorganized so I went right out and dumped them all on the floor!

LOL, you really made my day!

Thanks too for the nice way you introduced your photo!
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me