Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are lead wheel weights banned too?

Default Are lead wheel weights banned too?

I know they took the lead out of electronics but are lead wheel weights banned now? what kind of substitute is there for good ole fashioned lead for weight besides gold...
    I can see a lighter still conductive material for electronics but wheel weights need to be compact and heavy,

I don't like all this fiddling about with things weve been using for decades ---- first they took the lead out of all my paint chips - u know how bad those olestra chips taste? plus they give me really bad gas...

The last wheel weights that I melted were lead with a plastic type coating on them.

Some states have banned Lead wheel weights and new cars come equiped either with Zinc or coated Steel.

http://www.perfectequipment.com/
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer
    I know they took the lead out of electronics
    Not exactly.

The European Union RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive) started going into effect in 2006, so consumer electronics sold in the EU can't use lead solder. About the same time, the low-level radioactivity in lead solder was enough to pose a FIT (single-event upset) issue with the transistor densities on modern semiconductor devices.

So many of the US manufacturers started switching over to lead-free solder to solve both problems.
    There's a learning curve, hence "bump cracking" et al.

But you can still buy lead, lead shot, lead solder, ... 63/37 solder is great stuff!

http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Metals-A.../dp/B000G36BYU
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Tires and vehicles that go fast enough to reveal balance problems with them can't be too far down the things to be banned list. Before too long the world will be too safe to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by dp
    Before too long the world will be too safe to live in.
    I have lead plumbing, and eat on lead plates. Hasn't affected me at all. Off to give my bull some lovin'...
    Last edited by lazlo; 05-28-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

I collect wheel weights for bullet casting and the Lead variety is rapidly being replaced with both Zinc and Iron weights. It's a good thing really because the mortality rate of hitch-hikers has sky-rocketed in the last few years from eating Lead wheel weights they find alongside the road, something had to be done!

I just checked, and lead fishing weights are widely available too. So if wheel weights are being replaced with other alloys, it's because of cost.

A quick Google search confirms:

http://www.leadfreewheels.org/

Internationally, the use of lead wheel weights has been banned in the European Union since 2005. Progress in North America has been slow because of the EPA's refusal to, as of yet, implement any regulation of lead-wheel weight use.

Rohs, Recovery of hazardous substances, I believe. Bob F.

I don't think Gold would be practical though it would work.let me know your address if you go down that routeAlistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease