Thread: Did Chevrolet ever make a slant six engine?

Hybrid View

Default Did Chevrolet ever make a slant six engine?

One of the guys in the welding class was talking about having a early-'70s Nova with a 292ci slant six engine.

I've never seen or heard of this engine, and I can't find anything about it by googling. Everything with slant six ends up being Chrysler, Pontiac, or BMW.

Does Chevy slant six really exist? Anybody got a link to a picture of one?

His information is wrong. Firstly the early 70,s nova would have come with a 230 Cu. Inch inline 6. The next was a 250 cu. inch, the only difference was a bit longer stroke. The big 292 engine had the same 3 7/8 bore as the other two, but had an almost 4inch stroke, requiring that the block was way deeper than the other two. (these were truck engines.)

Earlier back before the 230 first came out they had a 194 cu. inch and of course the little "Iron Duke" as they were called,, a 153 Cu. inch 4 cyl.

No. The engine was not slanted in the engine bay. But they did come with a STRAIGHT six.
    "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Chrysler was the manufacturer of the slant six in 170, 198 and 225 cubic inches. Great engines that ran almost forever.

Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler

(Haybines and square balers too!!!!!!!!! )

Great engines!!

Known as the "Leaning Tower of Power"

Quote Originally Posted by winchman
    One of the guys in the welding class was talking about having a early-'70s Nova with a 292ci slant six engine.

I've never seen or heard of this engine, and I can't find anything about it by googling. Everything with slant six ends up being Chrysler, Pontiac, or BMW.

Does Chevy slant six really exist? Anybody got a link to a picture of one?
    There are no slant six Chevrolet engines.

The 292 cu. in. six was strictly a Chevrolet Or GMC truck engine. It was basically a tall deck 250 cu. in. Chevy six intended for truck use.

You friends Nova was either a 230 cu. in. six or more likely a 250 cu. in. six from the factory.
    The 292 as noted is the step child of the 250 and this may be where the confusion in pedigree may have come from.
    Someone in the life of you friends Nova may have transplanted a 292 into it, but it did not leave the GM factory as such, and it is not a slant six in any way unless it has a broken motor mount.
    Last edited by Willy; 05-31-2012 at 01:48 AM.
    Home
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience....well that comes from poor judgment.

The nice part about a 225 slant 6 is you always know just when to pull over......if it quiets down,pull over,it's about to blow up LOL

I worked with a guy that had a friend with a 440 Hemi......uh,yea,OK

my first car was a plymouth duster with a 225 super6 (2bbl carter model bbd carb) that engine went through 3 diffrent bodies and had over 700 thousand
    on the clock when i swapped it out of the last one for a 318 v8.

225 6 the undying engine only problem i ever had was mine liked starters
    could to this day change one in 10 min flat. I took the engine apart out of curiosity. thing was built like a Tank the counterweight on the crank could have crushed a smart car

Wayne