Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for books

Post Looking for books

Hi all,
    I'm looking for a set of five volumes called
    Mechanisms in Modern Engineering Design by I Artobolevsky.
    Published by MIR books and translated from the Russian.
    There are actually seven volumes as No's 2 and 5 are in two parts.

I have contacted MIR Publishers but had no reply.
    Done a web search on book sites and found volumes 1 and 5 [ both parts ]
    I have bought these so I'm only looking for 2,3 and 4 but will buy a complete set if someone has one or even the odd volume.

I have done a web search for both the title and author and got many hits. It appears it's a course textbook in many US Universities but can't find any reference to it on sale anywhere.
    Could this just be a University reference book? but if so they had to buy them from somewhere.

Any help appreciated. Please cc by email as well as list answers.
    Many thanks.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

If it's an egineering course text book I would think that it would be available from the university book store. Contact the closest one and see. If they'll only sell to students, weel there are ways around that problem.
    The optimist says the glass is half full, the pessimist says it's half empty. The paranoid in me says somebody put a hole in it.

Remember pessimists are at heart opptomists. They know things can and will get worse.

Lightbulb

Hi John
    Set up a search on ebay under:
    Books:Nonfiction:Science & Technology:Engineering
    Expand the search to "all of ebay" include titles and desc.
    Save the search and set it up so that if anything appears, ebay will let you know by email.
    It has worked for me in the past when I was looking for "odd" things.
    Happy xmas
    e
    please visit my webpage:
    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

It appears this book is being used as a reference at many universities but not available anymore. I checked Barnes and Nobel and they cannot get it which usually means it is no longer available new. The used book dealers only have volume 1 and 5 that you have already found.

Mike

jfsmith Guest

Cool

Check with Kings Used Books;

John K. King Books
    901 W. Lafayette Blvd
    Detroit, Michigan 48226

Phone (313) 961-0622
    FAX (313) 963-9138

I find a lot of books, I am looking for there, Its a three hours drive from me. If I am going to Canada via Windsor, I always stop in and look for books. They have a bunch, I think they are largest used book mechant on the country.

Jerry

John

Abe books at www.abe.com has that book and a few others by that author (actually they might be different copies of the same book). I couldn't look too deeply in to this as I have to take off with the wife to go to a Christmas show. Here is the link to the actual books http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookSearchPL?an=I%20Artob olevsky&tn=&ph=2&sn=&imageField.y=10&imageField.x= 32
    Good luck they looked very reasonably priced at (US)$25.

Happy Holidays

D'oh I took a minute to look at that site they have only the volumes you've already mentioned SORRY about that!!! You might want to contact the people that have them, maybe they can give you a suggestion on where to look??

[This message has been edited by Tibertus (edited 12-22-2002).]

John,

I'm also looking for those books for years. If you happen to find them please post back.

Thxs

Try Nebraska Book Company.

John
    Have you checked with the rare book dealer in London?

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for a set of five volumes called
    Mechanisms in Modern Engineering Design by I Artobolevsky.
    Published by MIR books and translated from the Russian.
    There are actually seven volumes as No's 2 and 5 are in two parts.
    </font>

These Soviet texts were sold through fellow-traveller bookshops throughout North America. I got my set of Artobolevsky texts many years ago from a Toronto book shop dealing in "liberal/revolutionary" books. It may still be around - someone with access to a Toronto phone books may check. I saw the same books later in a similar Winnipeg bookshop (Winnipeg has a large Russian/Ukrainian diaspora).

These books and many others published by "MIR" were heavily subsidized for propaganda reasons. It's possible the books went out of print after the collapse of the regime.