Quote Originally Posted by Arthur.Marks
People need to get over the fact that a drill press is not a jig bore... Not even a mill. If you want more accurate holes then you need to do one of several things. For example, ditch the drill chuck and use a collet matched to your drill diameter. Use screw machine length drills. Study up on layout, spotting and/or single point boring tools. Using the spec you quote, you'll fair far better with a jig and a proper drill bushing in squeezing the best precision out of your machine. Holding the drill is arguably less than half the problem. The real issue is a twist drill itself. It is relatively long for its diameter, bends easily and has a tendency to walk off-position. The way to deal with that is much reduced with a hardened drill bushing guiding the tool at the point of entry.

What it comes down to, I guess, is what you hope to acheive. A theoretically perfect run-out twist drill can still produce an inaccurate hole. Three thou' on your chuck is mighty darn good, if you ask me. I think you've already beat the curve. I'd hate to see you ruin it a little.
+1

I mark out all my drilled holes and mark them with a prick punch followed by a centre punch - but often just a centre punch.

Done correctly the drill will follow the "prick" marks.

I often use a small "pilot" drill followed by a larger drill which follows the pilot.

Any "play" or "slop" in my press drill of chuck - or quill - is negated.

I am quite prepared to take my time and get it right first time.