Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood lathe with granite base??

Default Wood lathe with granite base??

I see several brands of wood lathes now have granite bases, including this one sold on Lowe's website:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_371423-26463...ontent=Default

Has anyone seen one of these up close? It's probably granite chips in epoxy resin, like the counter tops. I'm sure it's easier/cheaper to make than cast iron, but I wonder about the rigidity.

There are now a lot of wood working machines with granite components. It is probably cheaper than casting, and reasonably rugged. The ones I've seen are nice looking machines but I've yet to see what one looks like after a year of hard use. The granite looked like real granite, too.

China must have more rocks than scrap metal.

Use of granite in machine tools is nothing new. The American Precision Museum in Windsor, VT, has large old granite-bed lathe on display.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

It would almost have to do with manufacturing economics.... or marketing strategy. Unless it is a wood lathe that turns giant logs, there is little need for uber precision or stiffness.

From what it looks like on the company website it appears to be two sawn slabs of granite separated by a couple spacers forming the bed.

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...=8&tool=60170G
    I just need one more tool,just one!

By the look of the tailstock and toolrest, they weren't overly concerned with rigidity.

When you consider that a pretty decent shop grade 12"X 18" granite surface plate can be made in China and sold here for $35, presumably making a profit for several people along the way, economics and marketing are probably big factors here.

Not necessarily a bad idea. Wood turners often start out with workpieces badly out of balance, and it's fairly common practice to add a lot weight to the lathe stand. Extra weight built into the bed can't hurt.

Dave Cameron

Steel City also has band saws and table saws with granite tables:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3604270...Types&var=sbar

I believe it is cheaper for the Chinese to make these granite pieces than it is to cast,machine,and grind cast iron.

Frankly,I don't want a granite topped saw. Afraid I'd break it trying to move it about. I frequently rotate my table saw to do longer pieces as my wood machine room is rather small. No granite for my jointer either. Same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by SGW View Post
    Use of granite in machine tools is nothing new. The American Precision Museum in Windsor, VT, has large old granite-bed lathe on display.

That lathe is discussed here (with images):

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...-lathe-205622/