Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronics for the Weston Bye Magnetic Clock

Default Electronics for the Weston Bye Magnetic Clock

As a service and convenience to readers of Digital Machinist magazine, I have made arrangements to offer printed circuit boards,parts kits and assembled and tested assemblies for the Magnetic Clock.

The bare board is $15.00
    The kit of parts including the board is $35.00
    The assembled and tested board is $50.00
    All prices are postpaid USA, payable by check or money order to Weston Bye. Additional postage required outside the USA.

You may PM me through this BBS or e-mail me direct at wcbye@sbcglobal.net, or postal mail at P.O.Box 811 Grand Blanc MI 48480

The circuit will work with the Magnetic Clock featured in the Winter 2011, Spring and Summer 2012, and upcoming Fall and Winter 2012 issues of Digital Machinist magazine. Also, it will work in the Time Machinery clock presented in the Winter 2006 and Spring and Summer 2007 issues. Back Issues, Photocopies and Subscriptions are available from Village Press.

George has approved this departure from the "no sales" policy, as it directly benefits the readers of Digital Machinist magazine and Village Press.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Coil winding service to the Digital Machinist readers building the Magnetic Clock: the cost is $30.00 (was $20, see post #14 below) for the 3 coils, postpaid USA. Use the address in post #1 above.

In addition to winding the coils on your bobbins, I will terminate the magnet wire on the diode and install the stranded leadwires.

Wes, that is ice looking work on the board, and reasonably priced as well. Given that one of my interests are clocks, I guess I should build one. If you did it with all manual tools, I should be able as well. Where do I get all the plans? What's the source for the magnets? Thanks, Bob.

San Diego, Ca *** Please let us know where you are from too.

How about supplying a link to the clock project so we don't have to go do a search to see what
    this is for. It would just be a nice convenience.

Mike,
    Look back in this thread: the project plans are in the Digital Machinist magazine, over 4 issues. Wes had his clock at the N.A.M.E.S. show in April, and like many visitors, I went directly from Wes's table to the V.P. booth to subscribe, including getting the back issues. Do a quick search, and you'll find a couple more message threads on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeamick View Post
    How about supplying a link to the clock project so we don't have to go do a search to see what
    this is for. It would just be a nice convenience.

Look here:
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...Magnetic+clock
    And here:
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...Magnetic-Clock

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fisher View Post
    Wes, that is ice looking work on the board, and reasonably priced as well. Given that one of my interests are clocks, I guess I should build one. If you did it with all manual tools, I should be able as well. Where do I get all the plans? What's the source for the magnets? Thanks, Bob.

Bob,
    You can contact George Bulliss or the Village Press subscription department for back issues and subscriptions. There will be 2 more issues in the Magnetic Clock series.

While most builders I know of are building the clock with CNC, I designed it and wrote the articles with manual machining instructions. Indeed, I built all but two details of the original clock with a Sherline lathe and mill.

I have been getting my magnets from United Nuclear, a Michigan company. Google it. There are other sources as well.

The Magnetic Clock series began in the Winter 2011 issue of Digital Machinist magazine and looks like it will wrap up in the Winter 2012 issue; making for five parts.

To purchase the full series, call 800-447-7367. Your $19.95 subscription will start with the Summer issue and will cover Parts 3, 4, and 5. Parts 1 and 2 can be purchased as back issues.

After September 15, subscriptions will begin with the Fall (Part 4) issue.
    George

I procured my magnets from an online company called "KJMagnetics.com". They have anything you can imagine in magnets.
    Larry

San Diego, Ca *** Please let us know where you are from too.

Holy crap ...

I really don't think I was ready for all that. Those projects are so far above my current pay
    grade .. some day ..