Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot: Mri

Default Ot: Mri

I just got back from having my brain scanned via MRI. I want to compare my experience with anyone that has also has an MRI of the brain done.

It was one of the least pleasant experiences I have had in a while. Never mind the confines, I am not at all claustrophobic, I have done caving. Never mind the noise, I have made worse sounds on my machines.

What I did mind greatly were the serious nervous system effects. These included not just tingling but the feeling of electric shocks, minor and not so minor convulsions and the induction of heart arrhythmias. That includes a fairly long run of atrial fibrillation for about 30 seconds. I almost called a halt to the procedure but continued slowly with breaks between each of the six sequences. After the entire set was finished I felt like I has suffered a serious electric shock (or 10).

The machine is a 1.5 Tesla unit running very standard sequences and 1.5 Tesla isn't supposed to cause neurological side effects.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

I've had MRI's and CT scans, none of the brain. Nothing even similar to what you are reporting. I almost went to sleep during a few. Kind of hypnotic sounds to me.

Ken

Aren't you the person with too much iron in the blood?

Not any more. They drained it out at the rate of a litre per week for two months.
    Last edited by Evan; 08-13-2012 at 12:48 AM.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

My one MRI of the brain had none of the effects that you mention. I did feel odd, and there were occasional feelings that my skin / scalp was being pulled. In my case they were looking for evidence of a stroke. Thank goodness they found nothing.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I
    What I did mind greatly were the serious nervous system effects. These included not just tingling but the feeling of electric shocks, minor and not so minor convulsions and the induction of heart arrhythmias. That includes a fairly long run of atrial fibrillation for about 30 seconds. I almost called a halt to the procedure but continued slowly with breaks between each of the six sequences. After the entire set was finished I felt like I has suffered a serious electric shock (or 10).
    My mother died of complications caused by brain cancer and she refused a second MRI because of the bad experience. Principally claustrophobia, but other unidentified discomforts as well.

I've had several, never of the brain, and have had no similar symptoms. I do wonder what the metal stent in my heart does when all that is going on. The mortality rate from MRI induced symptoms is very low. Not so much the discomfort. The tunnels are the worst for me as my shoulders are pretty far apart and I have to stay scrunched. The last two tests use moving panels which are very close in, and the process is very slow. I usually fall asleep.

Two MRI so far, nothing nearly so threatening as what you describe.

A touch of claustrophobia during the first, knew to clear my throat of phlegm beforehand on the second.

Dave

I had one with no ill effects, just a cubic ft of concrete.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich theory of life." Theodore Roosevelt

I could feel every magnetic pulse and each was followed by a large number of little twitches of random small muscles, especially in my head. There were a few very large twitches like a convulsion without any warning where both my shoulders did a major jump along with neck muscles. My teeth began to chatter more or less in time with the pulses after the first couple of minutes and I couldn't even clamp them shut. I had electric like jolts down to my toes, especially my right big toe and after it was over that toe hurt to walk on. The after effects took about half an hour to fade away. I had a series of arrhythmias followed by the atrial run which was no fun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I could feel every magnetic pulse and each was followed by a large number of little twitches of random small muscles, especially in my head.
    For CYA purposes they frequently video record these sessions. Might be worth reviewing the vids if they're available. The technicians like to talk geek, from my experience.