Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT. I need some advice

Default OT. I need some advice

Hey guys, I'm sorry for the off topic post here, but I do need some advice.

As I had said before, I am taking some classes starting next week on machine tooling. But I have just found out that I may no longer have a job come Sept 15, although they are in talks to try and keep it open. (So they say)

If you where in my shoes, would you cancel the classes? Or would you just say screw it and keep going? It is scary when the realization hit me about not having a job. And the money that I paid for the classes would help out if I don't have a job. The class starts next week, I can still get my money back( less 10 bucks) if I cancel now. But if I wait to see what this place is going to do, I'm out all of it.

Thanks for the advice, and letting me rant a little. Again I'm sorry for the off topic, but you guys have some really good advice from what I have been reading!

Thanks,
    Chris

If you can afford to spend the money for the training you should do it.

The additional training could factor into the decision as to whether to keep you or let you go. Smarter and better trained = more valuable to your current employer.

If they let you go, the additional training makes you a more attractive candidate for future employers.

If you can afford it - knowlege is never a bad thing.

If you get let go, Google machinist jobs and find another place quickly. Keep the school if at all possible. You may want to do some snooping around now and be prepared just in case.

Dr Stan Guest

Yes keep going to school. This will show a potential employer you have the initiative to improve your technical skills.

There is "career" and then there is "job"; careers are a lifetime, jobs come and go. Stay in the classes and make sure you excel in the required academics.

Thank you guys for the advice. Well here at the current job, seniority rules when it comes to lay offs. They are also talking about a complete shut down. Who knows lol.

But I will stay with it. Hopefully if I do get layed off I can at least find another welding job, a machinist job would be preferred lol. But then again who knows.

Thanks to listening to me ramble and offering me the advice!

Thanks,
    Chris

you tend to make helpful connections in school, and it sure helps to get a conservation going back in the field, and it tells them you are not someone who is content with the same old same old and you are willing to do something about it. debt sucks but stay focused and you will come out the better
    --
    Tom C
    ... nice weather eh?

Schools usually have job placement programs that you may be able to take advantage of, even if you arent finished with a specific program yet. Also, call me crazy, but if youre a weldor currently I would think having some basic machine operating skills could only make you more valuable to employers.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Go to school. Things will work out and there is no job security anywhere. What ever happens get out of debt. A man in only free when he's debt free. You'll be fine, probably better than before & please keep us posted.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich theory of life." Theodore Roosevelt

My first impulse would be to keep the class, but that might depend on the type of job you hope to move on to. You might need to keep your options open. Is it possible that you could be offered a job at your next employer on second shift or outside reasonable commuting distance that conflicts with the class schedule?
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~