Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Champion Post Drill - help needed

Dr Stan Guest

Default Champion Post Drill - help needed

I have almost finished a restoration of a No. 101 Champion Blower & Forge post drill that was given to me. Since it was not fully assembled when I acquired it I was not sure if it had all the parts. As it turns out it is missing a couple of components. I do not plan to use it as a drill, but simply as part of the decor of my shop & a conversation piece. Here are a couple of pics from Vintage Machinery to use as reference:

Dr Stan Guest

So to continue here are some pics of my post drill

As you see from the front & side pics I'm missing the part that goes from the cam in between the flat bar and the spur gear that goes up to the top of the down feed wheel and has a pawl on it to engage the down feed. I'm also missing the flat bar, but that will be easy to duplicate once I have the other piece in place. In the "Parts" picture I have what appears to be a similar part that came from a different post drill. The correct one does not have as much of a bend/curve as the correct piece.

Is there anyone else with this post drill who could take pics of the part and send them to me so I can cut and braze my incorrect part into some semblance of what it should look like?

P.S. If flyo tells me that he just picked up a new old stock post drill for nothing I think I'll just have to scream loud enough for him to hear it it Michigan.

I used to have one & loved it. A friend talked me out of it & I'd really like another. Mine worked like new & I sold it for $50. Hope you get it working as they;re so neat to demo with the auto downfeed & all. Maybe a few Xanex will do you good as I'm laughing & you want to scream! Now the hunt's on for a like new one for $50 or less.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich theory of life." Theodore Roosevelt

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Surely. I do have one which is very similar if not the same, and would be more than happy to take pictures, and/or measure parts as needed.....

Mine does not say 101, it has no model number at all, but does say Champion Blower and Forge on one side of the frame.

Dr Stan Guest

I believe you have the exact same model. Please take pics of the part in question along with any and all dimensions you believe would be helpful. Thanks a bunch. At least I'll have something flyo does not have.

OK, might take a day or so, if that is OK. I want to do a good job of getting the info... bad info is worse than none.

I think you basically need the pawl arm with roller, and the support bracket, right?

I'm not sure I can get pics of the parts off the machine, a couple screws are well stuck..... it came out from under a guy's leaky back porch, on a "sure, you can have it right now....haul that thing outta here" basis. I'll get the best I can with critical dims, and if you need more after that, just ask.

In a bit......

Dr Stan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    OK, might take a day or so, if that is OK. I want to do a good job of getting the info... bad info is worse than none.

I think you basically need the pawl arm with roller, and the support bracket, right?
    Just the pawl arm with the roller. I have the support bracket it just was not on the machine when I took the pic.

Take your time. It sat unfinished for about 5 years and I just made the time to finish the resto.

Thanks,

Stan

My father in law had one of those post drills and while they may or may not have been effective there were far too many "pinch points" to snag kids who will not stay out of work-shops (who know where the key is) when adults are not around.

So - much as we'd like to have tossed the kids out we couldn't so the best way to seperate the kids from the post drill was to toss out the post drill to scrap - which is exactly what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Stan View Post
    I do not plan to use it as a drill, but simply as part of the decor of my shop & a conversation piece.
    I suppose it doesnt take up floor space.

I'd *LOVE* to have a shop with room for decor!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by oldtiffie View Post
    my father in law had one of those post drills and while they may or may not have been effective there were far too many "pinch points" to snag kids who will not stay out of work-shops (who know where the key is) when adults are not around.

So - much as we'd like to have tossed the kids out we couldn't so the best way to seperate the kids from the post drill was to toss out the post drill to scrap - which is exactly what happened.

bin it !!!!!!!!..............