Thread: Looking for Haas TM1 or TM2

Default Looking for Haas TM1 or TM2

I have a machinist friend that is looking for a good used Haas TM1 or TM2 somewhere withing a few hundred miles of Southern Michigan.

If you know where there is one, that is available, information on location, condition, and approximate price would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    George
    My Web Site
    www.mrrace.com
    Builder & Test Pilot N73EX

Unfortunately the TM machines don't come up on the used market as often as "normal" VMC's, the TM's seem to get placed in tool rooms and prototype facilities and since they work well for that usage they don't get turned over very often.

Unless you get lucky you'll probably have to expand your search region but at least they don't weight too much so shipping cost won't be too bad. Since they don't come up for sale very often used prices on them tend to be stiff, for a recent machine expect to pay 2/3 to 3/4 of the cost for an new one, older ones around here still go for more than 1/2 new cost.

I think the cheapest asking price I've ever seen on a TM around here (Northern California) was $18k.

Paul T.
    www.springtest.com

Thanks for your input Paul, yes he is very aware of the availability problem with this particular series of machines. So far he has found three, but as you already mentioned, most are what he thinks are grossly over priced.
    Will keep looking to see what I may be able to come up with.
    Thanks,
    George
    My Web Site
    www.mrrace.com

Dunno how the current market is, but FWIW when I worked for the MI Haas dealer a decade or so ago (I handled their y2k cutover, new ERP system install and a bunch of the QC certification) used ones coming in on trade were few and far between and held their value well. This was when the Mini's first came around, and it wouldn't surprise me if the newer models are the same way price-wise as the quality of the product has gone up remarkably in the intervening time (lots of service issues when I got there, tapering off to a fairly decent/robust machine when I left a couple years later).

Sounds more like he is too cheap. If he has found three and they are all overpriced to him.

If he is looking for a small machine why not a Fanuc/Brother Robodrill or roommate?

Macona, you may be correct. He used to own a rather large machine shop in the area and had one when it was brand new. Not sure of what year that was. He sold out the business several years ago, but now really would like to have another one to do small jobs on.
    George
    My Web Site
    www.mrrace.com