Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plans and drawings

Default Plans and drawings

Hi to all,

When you read the home shop machinist magazine and see all those nice plans and drawings, I always wonder what kind of software they use to make them. Anybody knows??

Mario

George does an excellent job of getting the drawings into printable form. I think he uses Solidworks, but he can tell you better. For my articles I submit .DXF files that I generate from an ancient version of AutoSketch. Others use newer software and still others (literally) submit hand sketches on cocktail napkins or brown paper bags. However it comes in, George renders it worthy to go into the magazine.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

If you get a chance, get a hold of and learn Solidworks.
    It is so great. Just saying.

--Doozer

AND SOOOOOOO expensive!!!
    not the kind of thing you buy just to do "pretty modeling and drawings.
    there are much cheaper and some free program that will do instead. Solidworks is a "production tool" unless you can aford expensive toys.
    that said I love mine and forget how to use most of it if I don't use it at least once a month!

I haven't submitted anything to any magazine. For drawing things I use DeltaCad. It was inexpensive and is pretty intuitive to use. I can put together drawings that make sense to me even if I don't use it for several months.

I had a copy of autocad and could barely draw a square box with it. Got to the point that I could finish a drawing but then if I didn't use it for a little while I had to learn it all over again.

Just my opinion of course.

Jeff

As most here know I like and use SketchUp. Some people sneer at it but I am looking forward to see what Trimble Corp does with it since they bought it and the staff from Google earlier this year. Even version 8 which I use can do far more than most people give it credit. Right now I just finished a much bigger and more accurate model of Gale Crater on Mars. Ask most people familiar with it and they will tell you what I am doing is impossible on Sketchup. The model has nearly a million edges and over 1/3 million faces and saves at 173 megabytes.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Lot's of tools, just depends on your budget and ambitions.

I have done 3D using ProgeCad (a $00.00 AutoCad clone) and AutoCad. For many things 3d, Progecad seemed to behave better than AutoCad 2007

For 2D I have used a freebie from the same folks that make SolidWorkds called DraftSight. It is also an AutoCad 2D clone, but is able to render a 3D drawing.

I use Visio 2010 for tiny parts to entire mutli-story building.. it has an excellent 2D CAD mode and can export/import to just about anything.

I have a decent autocad clone, but just haven't got into it. Same with BoBcad 23.

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

I use AutoCad LT. Mine is LT98, and I need to upgrade it to 2002 to be compatible with some other folks I need to send stuff to and accept from.

Anyway, I drew all the stuff for my articles with it, and the drawings were used as-is. The key is using lineweights correctly..... in AutoCad that is best done with polylines, which have assignable lineweights. In other CAD packages it may be some other name.

VP pays better if they can use your drawings directly. And if you include lots of pictures