Thread: Scope mount on 6.5x55 Swede

Default Scope mount on 6.5x55 Swede

A couple years ago, I bought one of the M38 6.5x55 Swedish Mausers from the crop that happened to be circulating through the market at the time. I am trying to keep it unaltered in case I want to sell it as original but also wanted a handier rifle - so I bought a nice synthetic stock plus an LER mount and scope. The stock was a great idea but after numerous attempts, I found myself unable to use the long eye relief scope consistently (I could hit a target but groups stank). The LER mount bolts into the existing rear sight pocket and I was thinking of machining a conventional mount block to fit this area but extend it to the rear so I could put a regular variable power on it without drilling and tapping the receiver. That would generate a long moment arm and I was considering putting a jam screw in the mount to exert tension against the receiver and put the mount in tension.

Anyone have thoughts on the best way to do this? I'm considering using a low carbon steel then sending out for color case hardening to help with wear and make it look nice.

There are some pretty good intermediate eye relief scopes out there by Burris, Leupold, and other high quality makers. If you could get the scope mount to where the eyepiece is over the front of the action, this type of scope will give you better groups and clearance for your loading/unloading. And yes, a jam screw at the front of the base will help with consistency. Also, have you considered that the stock and bedding might be part of your accuracy problems?

David
    David Kaiser
    Montezuma, IA

Just my .02. I had an "excellent" model 38 and put in a Bell & Carlson. Made a hinged mounted floor plate, made my own Timney style trigger, modified the safety. Shortened and recrowned the barrel, modified the bolt for low scope clearance, etc, etc.

I since found a model 96 that is in "fair" cond. none of the #'s match, I wil eventually do the same thing with it. Try to find one in less pristine condition and "have at it". It was a lot of fun, learned a lot, and it's my "go to" hunting rifle. Oh and I saved the $3000 a gunsmith was asking for a custom model 98.

Wish I still had the original 38 as a collector piece in hindsight, and had found a "beater" to modify.

Ken

Default Odd Ball Scope Mount

This is a bedding block to be glued onto the barrel and extend the scope mount back over but not in contact with the action.

This kind of shows the intended assembly.

This is on a little Marlin 256Win that was a modification of a Lever Action Marlin in 22 Mag. It has a cylindrical pinned joint connecting the barrel to the action.

My first attempt to improve accuracy was to glue the barrel and float the action. This did improve accuracy significantly, but with the scope attached to the action and given the floppy nature of the assembly, I wanted to improve the scope mounting. This project has been going on for a long time. Back then the good long eye relief scopes were not that available and the ones that were exceeded my budget.

Back then Darrell Holland was making some 2-Piece bedding blocks which glued the bottom piece into the stock. He was able to shoot 1/2" groups disassembling and reassembling between each shot. The size of the stock was somewhat limiting in my case. Your new stock might accommodate something along those lines. Just some food for thought.
    Good Luck,
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Thanks for the responses and I should have been more specific about the lousy groups. I was using an NC Star 2x7 variable on the LER mount and shooting one hole groups at any magnification when the target was 25 yds out but all over the place at 100 yds. That leads me to think the problem isn't with the bedding or even the mount - but an inconsistent eye placement from shot to shot. I'm set in my habits and more comfortable with a conventional mount. I appreciate the suggestions and will noodle on it a bit more.

I had a scope mount for a lee enfield. After following the instructions I mounted the scope. I was getting double groups. The mount was moving at each shot and that was the cause of the double groups. Go over to the castboolits@gunloads website and scroll down to the military cast boolit section. There is a guy by the name of the Dutchman, he has done some remarkable work cobbling up low centered scope bases and mounts for the swedish rifles. He may still have some of the mounts he has had for sale. Frank