Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly: Benchtop Horizontal Mill w/ Vertical Head (G0727)

Default Grizzly: Benchtop Horizontal Mill w/ Vertical Head (G0727)

I happen to notice that Grizzly offers a benchtop horizontal mill that
    might be of interest to HSM members working at smaller scales.

G0727 Mini Horizontal/Vertical Mill
    SPECIFICATIONS:
    Motor: 1/2 HP, DC, 110V, single-phase
    Spindle taper: R-8
    T-slots: 3 @ 1.33" centers, 1/2" studs
    Head tilt: 50 L/R
    Max. distance spindle to table: 6 1/2"
    Table travel (longitudinal): 11 7/8"
    Table travel (cross): 3-11/16"
    Table size: 4 3/4" x 18 1/8"
    Range of speeds: Variable, 2002200 RPM
    Approximate shipping weight: 254 lbs.

It looks good
    Some work the horizontal mill works best
    Like most of China some modify will be need to make it good.

Dave

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini...cal-Mill/G0727

That is a Sieg mill that was posted here in some detail not all that long ago. In the discussion it was said that Seig had a larger (not much) sturdier (quite a bit) version pending but no distribution dates were given.

Has anybody got any idea of the pending release dates please?

I am waiting for that mill as it will fit in nicely in my shop on my steel benches. It is more the horizontal I am wanting buy I will gladly take the vertical to get it.

I am a fan of Sieg mills.

I looked at the manual. I see there is only a single step of mechanical reduction between motor and spindle. All the speed variation is in the motor speed control. If the motor develops 1/2 HP at max speed you can expect 1/4 HP at half that and ss on. End stage is roughly 1/20 HP at 220 RPM.

DC PM motors are not quite linear in torque output at full load Amps over the rnnge of Volts/RPM. However the R8 spindle encourages the use of larger end mills, small shell mill cutters, and middling size boring heads. I think a prospective purchaser should consider how he would feel if he stalled the spindle taking a 0.025 depth of cut at 250 RPM with the boring head set for a 2" dia.

This machine if it was equipped with step pulleys similar to the optional Taig spindle pulleys, it might be a very cool little machine.
    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 10-04-2012 at 06:40 AM.

As I recall the motor/head is the same as the Sieg X3 or Super X3.

My X3 has a two-step cog-belt drive whereas the SX3 is direct.

I have both the X3 and SX3 with a variable speed range of about 100 or 200 to 2,000rpm and there's plenty of power there - including tapping. They ARE small (R) small machines and need to be treated accordingly. I can drive a 2 1/2" multi-insert head without too much trouble - with care - although I normally use the 2" head.

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/M515

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/M516

Looks like you move the motor to change from one to the other, so maybe get a more powerful motor setup if needed.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich theory of life." Theodore Roosevelt

One first things I would fix put a step plull for low speed work. The way this mill built you can replace the spindle with a low speed. Then power feed. Knowing the China tool there will be more to do.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Addy View Post
    I looked at the manual. I see there is only a single step of mechanical reduction between motor and spindle. All the speed variation is in the motor speed control. If the motor develops 1/2 HP at max speed you can expect 1/4 HP at half that and ss on. End stage is roughly 1/20 HP at 220 RPM.

DC PM motors are not quite linear in torque output at full load Amps over the rnnge of Volts/RPM. However the R8 spindle encourages the use of larger end mills, small shell mill cutters, and middling size boring heads. I think a prospective purchaser should consider how he would feel if he stalled the spindle taking a 0.025 depth of cut at 250 RPM with the boring head set for a 2" dia.

This machine if it was equipped with step pulleys similar to the optional Taig spindle pulleys, it might be a very cool little machine.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtiffie View Post

That is a Sieg mill that was posted here in some detail not all that long ago. In the discussion it was said that Seig had a larger (not much) sturdier (quite a bit) version pending but no distribution dates were given.

I am waiting for that mill as it will fit in nicely in my shop on my steel benches. It is more the horizontal I am wanting buy I will gladly take the vertical to get it.

This is the U1. The larger one you are referring to is the U2. It looks different to the U1. Its bigger and much more expensive. It was made and sold before the U1, but I cannot see any signs of it at present on SIEGs website. I think it might be withdrawn.

Ketan at ARC.
    Ketan at ARC

Found this site on the internet http://www.mini-lathe.com/mini_mill/reviews/U1/U1.htm
    Looks like a good mill still neet backgears for slow speed work.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ketan Swali View Post
    This is the U1. The larger one you are referring to is the U2. It looks different to the U1. Its bigger and much more expensive. It was made and sold before the U1, but I cannot see any signs of it at present on SIEGs website. I think it might be withdrawn.

Ketan at ARC.

Originally Posted by oldtiffie

Quote Originally Posted by Ketan Swali View Post

Ketan at ARC.
    Thanks Ketan.

That was disappointing.

I will just have to continue looking and waiting - and hoping - for something similar.