Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HSM members occupations?

Default HSM members occupations?

I don't remember seeing a thread like this here and would love to hear what you guys do for a living! I know what a couple guys do ie. Macona, Max, Erik, Quasi, Flylo

As lots probably know I recently quit my job of 10 years to "do my own thing"
    The last 7/10 years I have been doing drafting and design work in the hvac industry. Specifically Autocad and Inventor drawings/models for manufacturing. Always having been a mechanically minded person my interest in machining was a natural extention of learning to design and model parts/assemblies. (at least thats when it really took off)

Today I am doing the exact same thing but for a broader range of industries.
    The last 2 weeks have been super busy for me, but I get to work in my comfy pants and slippers so its all good
    Last edited by legendboy; 10-25-2012 at 11:41 PM.

I get my sandwich toppings (or try to ) from being a die & mold maker. Our company does mainly die casting molds for aluminum, though every now and then we also do plastic injection molds.

Electronics tech by trade, currently working as a cabinetmaker. I also repair and maintain all the machinery in the shop, which apparently now includes the fork lift. I design and fabricate machinery to help with specific tasks in the wood shop, as I see fit pretty much. My latest project is a sliding cross-cut table retrofit for our main saw, which I start on in the next few days.

Used to be mining for minerals. Until the EPA smothered everything.
    Now it is mostly civil works tunneling.
    My shop is a spin off. I build or modify mining equipment.

Currently playing video games, just finished Borderlands 2.

Quote Originally Posted by macona View Post
    Currently playing video games, just finished Borderlands 2.

best job ever

Unskilled labor
    Right now, glorified janitor. The "glorified"part means a bit of plumbing, bit of electrical, bit of masonry, bit of HVAC, bit of painting, bit of arborist, bottom line = low cost way to save employer big bucks.
    Mechanical interests in general, teach myself "skills" as time permits, started on the machining end three summers ago and welding end this past summer.

too busy to play borerlands, but trying to structure my future for lots of blackops2 time

As I don't have a computer in the shop - just me and my tools (toys).

That being the case - and as I am retired - I guess you could say that as I am alone in my shop and am occupied that I am playing with myself.

Every day is Saturday. I'm a retired (and burned out) IT professional.