Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Model Sawmill Dreaming---

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnT View Post
    Brian, did you develop a plan for the blade and feed?

John
    John---The jury is still out on the blade. My initial design was for a coarse tooth hacksaw blade. People have since suggested that I use---a section of woodcutting bandsaw blade----a sabre saw blade---. As far as feed, if you are talking about feeding the log into the saw, then yes, it is discussed at great length in the early parts of this thread. Thats what the ratchet and pawl and the rack and pinion are all about. That is the only "feed" I am aware of. And yes, the eccentric which drives the pawl device is adjustable so I can dial in how much the log gets fed into the blade with each stroke.

Oh I thought there was some issue with the feed timing. I did notice that in one video it appeared to feed on the down stroke I think and clearly the Winoa saw and another video it feeds the log on the up stroke.

John

So there we have it. The inner and outer frames are completed except for some cosmetic work. The inner saw frame slides up and down quite nicely between the two outer columns. (Thats not a saw blade in there---its my 6" machinists ruler----It just fits!!!)

Be making cant's soon...

John

Last edited by brian Rupnow; 11-25-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Looking pretty darned NICE!!

Brian do you have a rough idea what scale this is, I saw that your going to use 3/4" oak for the frame just wondering if it might be over size. There may be surprise coming in the mail (post).

Duckman----The last surprise I got in the mail came from my first wifes lawyer!!! As far as "scale" goes, ---There isn't any particular scale. If you look at the log for instance, a standard Canadian sawmill generally is set up to saw 16 foot logs. my "log" is 6" long, so that would speak for a 1:32 scale. However, my "log" is 1" in diameter. So---that would equate to a 32" diameter log, which is pretty darn big for any "standard" sawmill I know of.---Brian

Brian,, when you get this set up and running, your'e going to have to make yourself a good strong "Canthook" to flip those 1in logs around!!

Probaly a "Jammer" also to load them to get them to the mill!!

Brian, you are suffering from "time shifting." While a "standard Canadian saw" may be set up for 16 foot logs TODAY, that was very definitely NOT the case when frame saws were in common use. To drop a tree with a "Swedish fiddle" was SO MUCH work, and trees were SO plentiful, they only dropped and dragged the very best. Knotty stuff was left to rot. Logs of 3 feet diameter were common, and 24 foot timbers and/or siding was also common. Barns needed long timbers and even the the "summer beam" of a substantial house would be long.
    You check on the history of logging around Kempenfeldt Bay and you will be amazed at the size of the timber shipped out. IIRC, the largest squared timber EVER shipped from Quebec City was from that area. It was, I believe, 3 feet square by 90 feet long. No big deal, you say, EXCEPT one knot larger than a shilling, on ANY face was cause for rejection.
    To be reasonably representative of the old originals your carriage should really be able to handle 30 scale feet.
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec