Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 8

Smile Windows 8

Looks like windows 8 is not selling as expected. Bought it at London Drugs for $ 69.00.

If I like it i'll get another one. Sure came down from $ 300.00.

Not tried it myself, but work colleagues have told me that it is not good. It tries to be both a desktop and tablet OS. The result is a mess, not doing either very well. MS have decided for you which features are available on which platform and you can't pick and choose.

$300? lol... The Win 8-pro version sells for $55-70 around here and has done from day one.

It works very well, but....if you don't have a touch screen... IMHO... it is a pita. I'll be staying on with 7 on my current hardware.

I did get to play with a Surface running Win 8 last night. Very nice, but I'll wait for the "pro" version due next month that has both the x86 and arm procs.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 11-23-2012 at 01:06 PM.

I'm still running XP so I've been looking at Win8 too. As a cheapskate I've been considering the introductory deal where you can download a Win8 Pro update for $40:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...opHP_FPP_Light
    For a few dollars more they'll send a DVD -- but there are directions on the net to copy the download to a DVD, thus making your own DVD.

Desktop users commonly hate the new interface (because it works best with a touch screen). Since MS doesn't include an easy way to revert Win8 to the regular Win interface, several sources provide what is needed to do this. One that is free and getting good press is:
    http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

The MS intro offer includes the necessary key so those (like the OP) needing a second copy of Win8 have the option to use their original disk and get the second license for $40.

This seems to provide a version of Win8 that will work like an updated Win7 for an attractive price. Seems too good to be true so I'm wondering if anyone here has tried this and can say how it worked out.

John

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetBuilder View Post
    The MS intro offer includes the necessary key so those (like the OP) needing a second copy of Win8 have the option to use their original disk and get the second license for $40.

This seems to provide a version of Win8 that will work like an updated Win7 for an attractive price. Seems too good to be true so I'm wondering if anyone here has tried this and can say how it worked out.

John
    Ya, I'm happy on Win7 atm, maybe when they iron things out we'll see how it works on the wife's comp.

For now... a poignant youtube vid that accurately shows the present kerfuffle:

How Real People Will Use Windows 8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=v4boTbv9_nU

I've become content with W7. Last thing i want is more microslop change for the sake of change

reviews if W8 seem dismal - mostly around ungainly combining of a tablet and computer interface. I use the two very differently; the ipad has to be a touch screen interface where as on a lap top or desktop it isn't feasible or desired (pending redefining what a desk top is/looks like)

I like one quote I read

"Welcome to Windows 7! The operating system the fixes all the sh1t wrong with Windows 8"

Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-23-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Unfortunately (I think) Ubuntu is kind of trying to do the same thing regarding making future versions look and act like a tablet to some degree. Although I've taken a short look at it and they may be doing a better job with that.

Quote Originally Posted by caveBob View Post
    For now... a poignant youtube vid that accurately shows the present kerfuffle:

How Real People Will Use Windows 8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=v4boTbv9_nU

ROTFLAMO! As a Vista abuser I'm following the once bitten twice shy rule this go around.I noticed after going from XP to Vista I suddenly started saying F--- a lot more often
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Windows 8 pro upgrade is available directly from Microsoft in electronic form for $49.95 until (I think) Jan 31. I have installed it on my main machine and will buy another copy for my wife's machine at some point. Unfortunately the upgrade must be run from the machine you are upgrading so it is a bit of a fiddle to buy and save for a future upgrade. (it can be done, just a bit of a fiddle) It is definitely a shift from what windows users are used to and takes a couple of days of an open mind and uttering "This is nuts. They can't be serious. Oh, I get it. OK, this is useable but I wonder why they changed it. Hey this is kind of cool." A lot. It seems to run acceptably on a 6 year old laptop that was not a fire breather with XP (1 GB of memory). To really come into it's own it really requires a multi touch screen which means I probably wouldn't recommend anybody happy with what they have bother to upgrade or buying one of the first generation Win 8 machines that are really non touch Windows 7 models rushed out the door for Christmas.

To step back a bit, I think most of the more thoughtful industry comentators are coming to the conclusion that any study of the sales figures left Microsoft with no alternative. The current windows interface is a long slow glide path to obsolesence and that if we want to keep using windows we are going to have to adapt along with it. I find a Mac just fine for email and browsing the web but not suitable for most of what I use my PC for so I figured I better get on board and make the most of it.

Brian

It is looking as though Win 7 is the last of the decent Microsoft desktop operating systems. That market is diminishing greatly in comparison to the entire operating system market. Microsoft is faced with competition they have never had before and they do not yet know how to deal with it. Firstly, nobody actually buys an operating system for a tablet or "superphone". It is included and people buy the device for reasons other than functionality. As long as functionality meets a reasonable and fairly low standard things like speed, battery life, appearance and price are much more important.

The world of computing is changing around Microsoft and so must Microsoft in order to survive. Times change.

Win 7 will do what I want for the rest of my life and that is good enough for me.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here