Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 8

>>>Win 7 is the end of the line for a true multipurpose OS

So far, Win 8 is all of Windows 7 Plus the locked down stuff. I am assuming it will be many more generations of windows before they actually take out the core Win32 stuff on X86. Even the old 16 bit windows stuff worked right up to the 64 bit versions of the OS. I think the "Developers must register" is only if you want to distribute your app through the app store (which is the only way to distribute a tiled app). If all you are doing is playing you can still use the Visual studio Express tools to build and run any kind of app on your own machine including tiled apps. Regular desktop apps are developed and distributed the same way they always were.

Brian

Exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by bhowden View Post
    >>>Win 7 is the end of the line for a true multipurpose OS

So far, Win 8 is all of Windows 7 Plus the locked down stuff. I am assuming it will be many more generations of windows before they actually take out the core Win32 stuff on X86. Even the old 16 bit windows stuff worked right up to the 64 bit versions of the OS. I think the "Developers must register" is only if you want to distribute your app through the app store (which is the only way to distribute a tiled app). If all you are doing is playing you can still use the Visual studio Express tools to build and run any kind of app on your own machine including tiled apps. Regular desktop apps are developed and distributed the same way they always were.

Brian
    Incorrect, You must register to be able to even launch a metro application you have made yourself.
    All metro applications *MUST* be signed or windows refuses to run them period, If you could run an application you made yourself without registering to be a developer and signing them as developer applications with your key, Nobody would have to use the windows store to distribute applications.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../hh974578.aspx
    "A developer license for Windows 8 lets you install, develop, test, and evaluate Windows Store apps before the Windows Store tests and certifies them"

"Microsoft can detect fraudulent use of a developer license on a registered machine. If Microsoft detects fraudulent use or another violation of the software license terms, we might revoke your developer license. The monitoring process helps ensure the overall health of the app marketplace. "

So, even if you tried to distribute an application with your dev lisence, they would simpley revoke the lisence, Likey retroactivly making all computers with your application unable to run them anymore. (Something they might do to you at any time, for any reason they see fit (Including false posatives from verious antipiracy measures), meaning your unable to legaly write an application for windows metro UI anymore)

They may also start restricting dev lisences with huge fees, or only to large registered corperations due to 'software piracy/security/etc', if dev lisences are used to get around store controls.

Hey Moons.. lots of "mights and coulds"" in your analysis. Let's see in 5 years if they did...

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    As I said, Win 7 seems to be the last of the jack of all trades etc desktop operating system.

.....From Microsoft. There are still other OSes that do a fine job of general purpose desktop.

I could argue that Win 7 is not a jack of all trades desktop os, since there are 7 versions of Win 7 and you need the Professional version just to get the abilities that were in XP premium.

Of course, I'm an old Unix guy who is perfectly comfortable with using various Linux distributions.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

I was playing with a HP Pavilion all-in-one with a wired keyboard and mouse running W8 yesterday at the Office Depot. It really worked pretty well for me. An earlier experience with W8 on a laptop with touch pad was VERY frustrating.

One thing that surprised me was that the HP comes with Norton security software installed. If W8 has built-in security, it seems like MS wouldn't want a vendor to add on security software. That gives one the impression that the built-in system isn't adequate for average user.

Just how good are the built-in security features of W8?

I'm shopping for a new computer to replace the 9-year-old Dell with XP I've got. I'm really having a hard time deciding between W8 or getting one of the few remaining W7-equipped machines still available. Not having to deal with add-on security software would be a real plus for W8.
    Last edited by winchman; 11-25-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by winchman View Post
    One thing that surprised me was that the HP comes with Norton security software installed. If W8 has built-in security, it seems like MS wouldn't want a vendor to add on security software. That gives one the impression that the built-in system isn't adequate for average user.
    I also have been looking at new computers. When ordering an HP almost all their machines have Norton as an option.

Ed P

Just marketing... Norton pays for the privilege. I trash Norton on new devices and install MS Essentials, which is free and pretty much invisible unless it detects a problem.

I'm learning (actually, reading) more about W8 than I think I want to know.

What I really want to know is will my old software, 32 bit CAD/Cam, etc, etc, run on it? This software is currently running on my old XP desktop, a W7 shop computer and a W7 laptop. Eventually those computers will die so a replacement will be needed.

Of course, I'm an old Unix guy who is perfectly comfortable with using various Linux distributions.
    Me as well. I used Linux as a tool to repair broken Windows installations that wouldn't boot. Also, Xerox used (uses?) UNIX as the built in control system for their network connected devices. They gave us Windows laptops to act as a terminal emulator to provide a GUI for UNIX.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here