Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 8

I trash Norton on new devices and install MS Essentials, which is free and pretty much invisible unless it detects a problem.
    +1. MSE works fine and consumes nearly zero resources. I set it up as a gatekeeper only since if the malware can't get on the machine there is no reason to check every file each time it is touched. Stupid.

I also have to keep it out of my utility directories where I keep the viruses.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

That reminds me. If you have JAVA on any of your web browsers make sure it is disabled fully. Not Javascript, but JAVA. A number of severe vulnerabilities have been found this year that allow malware to break out of the JAVA sandbox and take full control of the OS. The vulnerabilities are so called "zero day" issues which mean the black hats have found them first. That means when they use them there will be no way to stop them regardless of what anti-malware software you run. These issues are especially bad because they involve "drive-by-downloads" if JAVA is enabled. All you need to do is visit a compromised web site to become infected. That could be any website on the WWW.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    That reminds me. If you have JAVA on any of your web browsers make sure it is disabled fully. Not Javascript, but JAVA. A number of severe vulnerabilities have been found this year that allow malware to break out of the JAVA sandbox and take full control of the OS. The vulnerabilities are so called "zero day" issues which mean the black hats have found them first. That means when they use them there will be no way to stop them regardless of what anti-malware software you run. These issues are especially bad because they involve "drive-by-downloads" if JAVA is enabled. All you need to do is visit a compromised web site to become infected. That could be any website on the WWW.
    Its one of the reasons I disable java, and sometimes even activeX for all non trusted sites.
    And why I really dislike when a website just signs up for some 3rd party ad service, thats how 0 day exploits usally get used.

Someone creates a exploit advertisement and uploads it to the ad networks... Ad service networks don't get paid to stop these, infact they get paid BY the malware creator to distribute it. (its an ad). They don't get much blowback when they infect hundreds/thousands of computers either. Iv never once heard anyone say "Im dumping XYZ ad network because they infected my <forum/website/company>'s customers!
    Only "Its not our fault you got infected and google blacklisted our website! its haxsors fault for uploading exploits to ad network!" - site admin
    Meanwhile, admin was the one who decided on the ad network.

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    I'm learning (actually, reading) more about W8 than I think I want to know.

What I really want to know is will my old software, 32 bit CAD/Cam, etc, etc, run on it? This software is currently running on my old XP desktop, a W7 shop computer and a W7 laptop. Eventually those computers will die so a replacement will be needed.

If it runs on Win 7 it will run on Win 8.

I've looked on my computer for JAVA, and it's not on the list that comes up when I click "All Programs".

In the list for "Add or Remove programs", I see "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6" which is rarely used.

There's also a JAVA icon on the control panel, but no obvious way to turn it on or off. The "About" page says "JAVA2 Platform Standard Edition".

Is any of that something I should be concerned about, and what can I do to disable it if it is?

Quote Originally Posted by winchman View Post
    I've looked on my computer for JAVA, and it's not on the list that comes up when I click "All Programs".

In the list for "Add or Remove programs", I see "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6" which is rarely used.

There's also a JAVA icon on the control panel, but no obvious way to turn it on or off. The "About" page says "JAVA2 Platform Standard Edition".

Is any of that something I should be concerned about, and what can I do to disable it if it is?
    A big HOW and where should I look to see if it's "in there" . ???
    ...lew...

I went to java.com (I think) and there was a link to check for updates. It reported that Java was not located and offered to download. I just closed that tab.

I set up my mom's new Dell computer with W8 over this Thanksgiving break. Thank you for mentioning classic shell, which restores a lot of W7 functionality. IMO, I like the "desktop" portion of W8 slightly better than W7, but the tiles and metro part cause me great anger for various reasons that others already know about and I don't need to repeat. However, my mom kind of likes that tiles stuff. Shrug.

Thanks for that^^.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep my banking info safe on my computer. I have Firefox, IE8, and Chrome browsers.

Would reserving one of the browsers SOLELY for banking-related activities provide any protection?

Would malware that came through the general-use browser be able to access info in the banking browser?

Would there be any advantage to using the In-Private setting of the browser for the banking-related activity?
    Last edited by winchman; 11-27-2012 at 06:52 PM.