Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaft for Hydraulic motor ?

Would regular hydraulic chrome plated shaft work in this application ?

What's the brand of that motor? Hydro motors are almost always just an "off the shelf" item and several brands of motors may make a direct replacement for a fraction of the quoted price from a dealer. I build various types of farm equipment and I buy most of my motors from Surplus Center and I have gotten some real d(s)teals from E-Bay. Unless that thing has some kind of odd-ball shaft it can most likely be replaced for much lower cost than buying from an equipment dealer.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/error.asp

Apparently the site is down for maintenance today but check these guys out they may have what you need at substantial savings, they have a really good tech dept that is just a phone call away and they can often answer questions about non-standard applications or even parts they may not have listed on the site or their printed catalog.

I believe the point that makes your Ingersoll hyd. motor unique is that it appears to have a longer than standard threaded shaft.

Radkins brings up some good points about most of these motors being fairly standard off the shelf items but sometimes a proprietary application will be unique. Still have a look at his link when it's up again as these motors are not very expensive, and they are new.

Here are two other options to think about
    You could use a standard motor by either fabricating an extension to a standard motor's shaft or by by using a Lovejoy coupling between a standard motor and the impeller. If you choose the last route you will of course need to fabricate an independent mount for the impeller itself so that it is supported by it's own bearings rather than those on the motor.
    Home
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience....well that comes from poor judgment.

If it was my machine I would change the design so there is something between the hydraulic motor shaft and the impeller that would give before breaking the shaft.

Good luck with fixing the shaft. These types of things can really get aggravating.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Here is a good picture of the unit from Ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ingersoll-Hy...-/110933604361

Apparently it is made by Haldex Hydraulics from Rockford IL.

Yes, the shaft is long. The piece that broke off is 3.4 inches.

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

Definately induction hardened,they also put no radius in the shoulder which didn't help any.

If it's a Haldex pump/motor,then it's got to be a small one and it's definately a custom length shaft.

It might be possible to use the standard length shaft pump which can be had for $200 or less and make a shrink on shaft adapter to mimic the extended section on yours.

Give me a chance to dig through some Haldex books at work and see what I can find,might be easier than we think.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I make replacement hydro-motor shafts and other parts. We use 4340. Never know what the life span will be but it ussually is long enough in the industrial enviroment that they can order a replacement so go ahead and make it your self. At the worst going to cost you a little coin and time.

mark61

Looking at Haldex's product line today,the GC series of pump/motors on this catalog page should be the same as yours,except for the shaft.They are about 2/3 the way down the page.

http://baileynet.com/hydraulics/bail...tegory=1000008

No help from them on the shaft,but like I mentioned earlier it might be possible to buy a new pump and shrink fit an extension on it.
    I just need one more tool,just one!