Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rare Turret With X & Y Capabilities

Default Rare Turret With X & Y Capabilities

Heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:L:LCA:US:1123 to the Turret off the Emco Maximat Super 11. Thanks Dennis

Well only had 7 coffee's up to now so not woke up yet but trying to work out why the sideways movement ?

Given that these are not powered and it rely's on the lathe chuck for rotation, moving a tool off centre will snap it.

What am I missing ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I would guess a HSS cutter in the tailstock off center could make trepanning kind of grooves or lines for O-rings or the like?
    Andy

if somehow you had power in the turret it could be used for something like drilling holes off center for special tasks.

Andy

I am curious as to how the indexing works from perpendicular directions (at least that is how it appears to me...don't drink coffee, so that could be part of the lack of understanding )

You guys are only thinking of drills in the turret. There's a wealth of turret tooling available that can, or indeed requires, offset to the side.

Such as boring bars, of course, and the above mentioned grooving tools. Any number of "knee" tools, used for turning the OD of a part- in this case, you could have a knee tool reach past a feature on the face to turn the body behind it, or use a single knee tool to turn the body down in steps, rather than either trying to take a single heavy cut, or having to set up multiple tools to make the staged cuts in sequence.

It might also be that this turret was fitted to a lathe without a cross-slide, relying on the X/Y travel for facing, grooving and stepping.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

I am getting some education here now, this is pretty interesting.

Had another 17 cups of coffee and the light came on, whilst I was running for the golden hall
    Doc's hit it on the nail with boring bars etc With an upside down internal grooving tool you could turn 'O' ring grooves etc.

Useful bit of kit if you have a need for it.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Quite common on larger turret (not capstan) lathes.Wards had cross sliding turrets on their larger models as did loads of other manufacturers.

There is a model of Hardinge toolroom lathe that has an 8 position turret on the cross slide. That is a very useful setup. I used to have a copy of that made by Feeler. Should have kept it.