Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticking 3-wires for thread measuring??

Default Sticking 3-wires for thread measuring??

What's a simple trick to stick the 3 wires to the part, when measuring with a mic?
    Seeing as I don't have 4 arms.

GREASE, grease, grease

I set the mic a tad bigger than I expect and use my fingers to hold the wires as I slide the mic over them.

John

Black (or pink) electrostatic foam works great, and no mess cleaning up the wires.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Hate to sound(& be) stupid, but can someone explain how this works? Thanks!
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich theory of life." Theodore Roosevelt

I use a lump of modeling clay. Pressure from the mic will move the wires into the proper position and give an accurate reading.

RWO

Dr Stan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by flylo View Post
    Hate to sound(& be) stupid, but can someone explain how this works? Thanks!
    the grease or the three wire method?

Here's a site that explains the three wire method: http://www.threadcheck.com/the-three...technicalinfo/

I remember some thread wires that were called "Flin Wires" (sp?). They were not accurate enough for Mil-Spec parts, but close enough for virtually everything else. Seem to remember a set had fewer wires than usual and it included a chart that made it easy to calculate the PD.

The grease acts as stickum to hold the wires in place. Just hit the part with some electromotive or brake clean to remove the grease.

Grease to hold the wires on the work....or stick the wires in plasticine (modelling clay) are both things I've used. They reduce the frustration from a 12/10 to about an 8. The wire falls off the grease, the move and shift in the modelling clay..Arrg

we should use thread wires all the time.....its only because they're a 8/10 on the miser scale that we don't

I've got a way to reduce it to a 3. snip two pieces of bicycle inner tube maybe 3/8 wide and an inch long. Punch a 1/4 hole in the centre (mics in my experience are 1/4" anvils). with an exacto knife make two slides at each end.

Slip the wires through the slits, two in one and one in the other and then the whole assemblies on the anvils. It works well. There is a commerical product out plastic that does the same but the price is just plan stupid

Empty the chip pan BEFORE using the wires !!

Quote Originally Posted by lazlo View Post
    Black (or pink) electrostatic foam works great, and no mess cleaning up the wires.
    Probably the best (cheap) solution I've seen yet Have to try this next time when I'm making a thread that I have no gauge for.